Questions

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gal tank. Right now I have live rock with vegetation growing on it not sure what it is. I have toe corals that came with tank and multiple fish. My question is what can I do to make my tank look better? I think I have a brown algae problem as well as se purple stuff.
8u5e7agu.jpg
avege3ap.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
14/02/17/agebu8ej.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water parameters (nitrates & phosphates)? Are you using rodi water? Most algae issues are caused by excess nutrients. Can you tell us more about your tank such as what type filtration are you using etc.

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two hob filters, water parameters are spot on. Not using rodi water.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say your water parameters are spot on, what does that mean? It would really help everyone if you listed actual numbers for the various parameters that you test for as well as your testing method.

Hard to tell from the pictures exactly what we are dealing with. Could you describe the algae that you are fighting a little bit? For example, how fast does it grow? Does it grow just on the rocks or does it grow on other surfaces as well? Does it peel or blow off the rocks? Color? Anything else you can tell us about it?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must use ro water or you will have algae issues. Most cities add phosphates to their water to protect the pipes. This a nutrient that feeds the algae. Also with hob filters if you are using filter floss or pads they will cause nitrates if not changed frequently. You really need to have a protein skimmer and good circulation and ditch the hob filters.

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 1.025
Nitrates and nitrites 0
Ammonia .25
Kh 8
Ph 8.3
That's all I check
I bought this setup cheap off craigslist so I plan to improve the filtration as soon as money is available.
There is a purple thick looking algae and a brown sludge/ hairy looking algae. The purple grows on mostly the rocks. It will grow on the sand but my goby takes care of it. The brown stuff is on everything, rocks, glass, filters, snails lol

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That only started when I added the goby last week. I think it's from stirring up the sand.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most lfs have ro water and most grocery stores also sell it.

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think after a few water changes you will see a difference. Using ro/di water. Get on a good schedule with it. 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly is common. Also how old are the lights, old bulbs can add to this problem as well

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on lights. Got them with tank. I've had it up since October.

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is distilled water what you buy at grocery stores? I have a blue bulb a purple bulb and two whites no idea spectrum. Lol

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96 watt does that mean anything? Sorry I'm a little new to the lighting thing. I only have had fish only tanks before.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is each bulb 96 watts? Or do you have a total of 96 watts for all the bulbs? If each bulb is 96 watts it sounds like you have power compact lighting. This will work for the softies that you currently have in the tank, but it may limit you if you want to start keeping some higher light demanding corals.

If the bulbs are more than a year old, they may be contributing to your algae issues. I would change the bulbs out so that you can eliminate that possibility and also so you can know when to change them in the future.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back