OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. So what I need to is change my bulbs. Just the whites or both? Do frequent water changes with Ro water. Is that all?

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely sounds like power compact (PC) lights. I would change the bulbs and plan on changing them at least once a year in order to keep them from shifting spectrum and losing output.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green algae looks like my refugium algae. it might be from the white spectrum lights or The tap water. Whats your calcium levels?

coralcollage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is never a good sign. Id do a water change asap. Other than that, it very well could be the tap water.

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't check calcium, but I do get the calcium deposits on my tank.

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information on this tank. :clap2: I would suggest the same as above, water change, testing, skimmer, and really consider taking you HOB filter off. Typically SWT's don't need them, they are used for FWT's. Good luck and don't stop asking questions. This site has a world of knowledge.

Jdodson11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the info above, by a couple 5 gallon water jugs at Walmart and go to your local fish store and buy Rodi water. It's usually 10-25 cents a gallon. Hassle to haul back and forth but worth it. Scrap the filters and buy a protein skimmer ASAP check Craig's list or eBay and or LFS for a used one. Bulb change is a must since you don't know how old they are. As soon as possible look I to a Rodi filter. I got mine from bulk reef supply for $160 and it's worth every penny ! If that's red slime or cyno bacteria you can use Boyd's chemi-clean but follow directions to the tee. It is safe for corals, fish, inverts but you have to provide some air bubbles and do a 20% water change 48 hours after. It will wipe out the red cyno in a day or two
This hobby is very rewarding once you figure out all the problems, next you will be asking how to rid your tank of Aiptasia !

Jdodson11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A phosphate removing media is definitely a option like a Gfo reactor also bulk reef supply carries some good options, but first I would try the other suggestions I have recently started doing weekly 15% water changes and have done them for about 5 weeks and I don't have issues like I did before, I also had hair algae, red cyno

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jdodson11 when you say scrap the filters and get a protein skimmer do you mean I don't need them even without a sump?

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 15 percent water change with ro/di water. And bulb is on order. As soon as I can get a protein skimmer I will. Thanks again. As soon as tank clears up ill post another pic.

Jdodson11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya Laurieo if you have a skimmer you don't need any other filters really besides live rock, some like to use mechanical filtration like a filter sock but a skimmer is all you really need at some point a carbon reactor would be a nice addition as well

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 100 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back