Flip my rocks upside down?

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to clean up some of the algae in my tank. Removed my equipment and gave it a good scrub. I was wondering your thoughts on flipping some rock upside down? I noticed on my rocks, that the top side has algae, but the underside is pure white, with no algae or anything. Sooooo I was thinking about maybe... flipping some rocks upside down? :nerd: Would that help/hurt anything? I don't have anything attached to my rocks as of yet so I can flip and rotate at will.

I also ordered some PhosGuard to hep better control the algae because I really don't feel I should have to clean my tank as often as I do. It's a pain scraping algae off the glass every other day and cleaning my equipment every month. I've toned my lights down a bit and have them on for 9 hours.

twpilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it to mine and it helped. Try not leaving the lights on as long ,water changes and give it some time and it will clear up

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipped my rocks over and noticed my firefish is missing. I can't find the little guy anywhere and he's not in his usual hiding spot. This may be sort of a silly question, but I'm worried that I can't find him. Is it possible... maybe I smooshed him with a rock or something? I looked around in all the places I could see and I can't find him. Poor Spooky. :( he disappeared!

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish I usually skiddish, my guess is with all of the activity going on he probably relocated. Check your overflow?

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on your goby hiding. I don't see him sitting still to be squashed. Now that you have flipped your rocks the algae that is no longer in the light will die off. Have you formulated a plan to deal with the influx of nutrients from that die off? With out one the algae will just come back I'm afraid

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back