Dwarf hawkfish upside down and bloated

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh...my cute little dwarft hawkfish stopped eating a few days ago. I have had her for about a month. She was doing great before then.

She is always shy but the last 4 or 5 days she hasn't come out (hiding under the rocks). Yesterday I found her upside down but breathing in a corner. I set up an emergency qt tank for her but just not sure what to do. I figured she wouldn't last throughout the night. Well she's still upside down but breathing. Sometimes she will right herself but seems to just float and bounce. I'll post some videos if I can and some pics. :(.

What can I do (if anything)?

I'm still a beginner and have never really dealt with this before. I feel like she is suffering. :(

My params:
Temp: 78.8
Salinity: 34
Alk: 9.65
Cal: 430
Mag: 1346
Ph: 8.28
Ammonia: .19
Nitrate:.1
Phosphate: .10

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ugh...my cute little dwarft hawkfish stopped eating a few days ago. I have had her for about a month. She was doing great before then.

She is always shy but the last 4 or 5 days she hasn't come out (hiding under the rocks). Yesterday I found her upside down but breathing in a corner. I set up an emergency qt tank for her but just not sure what to do. I figured she wouldn't last throughout the night. Well she's still upside down but breathing. Sometimes she will right herself but seems to just float and bounce. I'll post some videos if I can and some pics. :(.

I'm still a beginner and have never really dealt with this before. I feel like she is suffering. :(

My params:
Please provide a you tube video if at least 30 seconds. Can be bladder or mainly constipation. For emergency tank, good water quality and aeration via air stone is a start. I can safely say if your ammonia is accurate, it is very high and possibly a primary issue. You want .028 or below. Salt can raise to 35ppm and phosphate while not a contributor should be about .08

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My params:

Hawkfish don't have a swim bladder, so that isn't the issue here. The not eating prior to its being upside down is the key symptom. It is probably that the fish being upside down is a result of it being "moribund" or actively dying. It is very rare to be able to save a fish once they reach that point.

Still, a video would help, of this fish, but also of any other fish in the tank, just so we can see if there are any obvious symptoms starting up with them

Jay

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for info and help...sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a crazy couple of days trying to get that qt tank set up, get the proper meds, etc. Unfortunately she passed away yesterday. Heartbreaking for me. This is my first death since being back in the hobby a few months ago. I think the culprit of the ammonia spike was a few dead snails...I found them behind some rocks. I have done a 20 % water change and the ammonia is back to 0 but I'll continue to keep a closer eye on it. Everyone else seems to be very happy and healthy.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out. Next time, I'll do a better job at uploading a youtube video before I post. I also have my qt tank up and ready now in case any of the other fish start showing signs.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for info and help...sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a crazy couple of days trying to get that qt tank set up, get the proper meds, etc. Unfortunately she passed away yesterday. Heartbreaking for me. This is my first death since being back in the hobby a few months ago. I think the culprit of the ammonia spike was a few dead snails...I found them behind some rocks. I have done a 20 % water change and the ammonia is back to 0 but I'll continue to keep a closer eye on it. Everyone else seems to be very happy and healthy.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out. Next time, I'll do a better job at uploading a youtube video before I post. I also have my qt tank up and ready now in case any of the other fish start showing signs.
Sorry for your loss….RIP
Sometimes these things happen regardless of what we do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back