Purigen Accident

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently set up a 120g fowlr and I put a bag of purigen in the last compartment of my sump/refugium. The bag got partially sucked into the return pipe heading to my pump. Like a dummy I panicked and pulled the bag free before I shut the pump off. The majority of the little beads are now sitting on top of my sand bed. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance!

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had half a bag fall into my 29 gallon reef. The hermits actually started gathering around it like they worshiped it. Wish I had taken a picture lol. I didn't do anything about it because I read that it happened to other people and nothing bad happened. I think my female clown ate a few beads but never had any issues. I think you're fine (;

OP
OP
P

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the help. Seachem emailed me back in about 20 minutes. Very helpful!

OP
OP
P

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys. New to this forum thing. Seachem wrote, (Thank you for your email.* Don’t worry, the Purigen is not toxic to your fish or other tank inhabitants - merely unsightly.* We would recommend removing the beads from your tank with a siphon and either discarding or transferring the beads to a new bag of at least 180 microns.* The Purigen bag can be placed anywhere in the sump that water can freely flow over it, so feel free to place the bag anywhere that it will not be pulled into the return tube.)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back