Angry Coral with New Sump?

Zack09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 29 gal reef tank that I upgraded to a 40 gal breeder with a 20 gal long sump about 3 weeks ago. All of my coral and fish were looking happy until this past weekend. Starting Sunday after doing a partial water change my hydnophora, gongorian, and gsp all have looked bad. Most of my zoas seem to be unaffected.
Current parameters-
Nitrate- .1 (hanna) 0(salifert), I tested this yesterday hanna showed 0.
Phosphate- .08 (hanna) 0 (salifert), I tested this yesterday as well and hanna showed .07
Alk- 7
Mag- 1200
Cal-430
Salinity- 1.26

I was thinking that maybe phosphates were being my issue as previously they were either non-existent or around .02. Additionally I could just have misunderstood the set up of my sump and am missing key parts.

My sump is pictured below but it goes inflow->refugium (has chaeto, live sand, and dragon's breath, with a refugium light that is set to turn on at night)->filter media (activated carbon, a sponge block, and ceramic bio beads)-> final chamber has heater and pumps for bringing water back up to tank.
IMG_1649.JPG

After testing last night and seeing phosphate was at .07 for the Hanna Checker, I did added back on my Aquamaxx Protein Skimmer in chamber one of my sump. Although after running all night the phosphate and nitrate went up.

When I sat up the 40 gal, I brought over the majority of the old tank water, all of the live rock, and put the old filter media into the sump. I bought new live sand and mixed a few cups of the old sand bed into it (but only from the top layer of the old tanks sand bed).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates aren't the issue. Moving and upgrading tanks is always going to be disruptive for the ecosystems and "minicycles" are to be expected as the system goes through a maturing process and finds a new equilibrium. I'd keep an eye on pH, alk, calcium and magnesium and stick with small weekly water changes (<10%) and stay on top of algae by removing it with when water changes are done. And be patient. :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, your nitrates are low. Maybe cut back in the light cycle in your fuge.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back