Fish-in cycle #'s

noob reefer24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I started a 100 gallon tank with 33 gallon sump 2 weeks ago. I chose a fish in cycle with 2 clowns and put a full bottle of dr tims for my tank size. I used 60 lbs of aragonite dry sand and approximately 90lbs of dry rock. Daily feeding with hydra32s running 6 hours a day. My ammonia had not gone above .025 with the api test. 0 nitrites and nitrates.

I had my LFS test the water 4 days ago and came back with the following.

8.0 PH
1.25sg
78F
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
6.9 alk

They said I should add a clean up crew so I got 20 tiny hermits, 5 snails and 2 emerald crabs. I also added an 8 x 8 x 4 ceramic bio block in the sump. Dosed the tank with seachem reef phyto plankton and added a pistol shrimp, blue spotted goby and a rear fanged blenny. This was 4 days ago with continued daily feeding. Now testing with salifert kits and still 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates. 0 nitrites with the api test.

I know this was rushed and I'll get flack for it. But it's the route I chose and all seems good so far other than 0 nitrates. Should I be prepared for any issues with this???

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns are tiny, the ammonia may not be noticeable at this point in such a big tank. How often are you feeding them? I am not sure who recommended the fish in cycle ignore that advice next time. You also need to make sure the hermits, snails, and emerald crabs have food. I think they all will likely starve and die at this point. Again, there is no point to adding them until they have something to eat.

I am not sure what the point of dosing the seachem (dead) phytoplankton.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a cycle risk at all, no harm to fish is done with bottle bac cycles. Copious studies are online showing day one ability to handle their waste easily

You have a disease risk now that has nothing to do with cycling fast or slow due to not prepping the tank for disease.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a cycle risk at all, no harm to fish is done with bottle bac cycles. Copious studies are online showing day one ability to handle their waste easily

You have a disease risk now that has nothing to do with cycling fast or slow due to not prepping the tank for disease.

Dr Tim's can take a while to start working. If I were ever put a fish in immediately it would be with biospira or fritz turbo, not Dr Tims

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It will take a few days self directed study there. Start with the stickies on fallow and quarantine then move down to the help threads and read a few pages worth to see how Jay begins to undo the losses associated with no or incomplete disease preps, it’s quite a job for sure to be ready for disease.

Focus on doing preventatively what he has them do way after the fact after losses are mounting.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back