New nano tank

Philsreefjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
So new to having a nano tank got a red sea max nano , not using skimmer just socks and some bio balls in a bag , so my tank been cycled around 6 weeks now so added my first fish 2 black ice clown fish , tested my water and my dkh is 7.2 , hanna checker , phosphate 0.40 hanna checker calcium 330 salifert and magnesium not even recording a measurement on salifert test , nitrates showing just over 50 , so my question is what's going to be my best way to bring down and balance if water changes can rectify the levels , newish to marine so appreciate all advise

20240202_180552.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
water change will likely be your best bet. do you mix your own salt? always make sure the new water matches the parameters of the old water.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water change will definately bring down the nitrate, its a little high for my liking at 50. It won't bring down phosphate, but that doesn't matter much for fish only, when you want corals then will need to lower that with some phosphate remover. Same with calcium and magnesium, I wouldn't worry until its time for corals, thats a few months away. Weekly water changes will take care of that tank.

OP
OP
P

Philsreefjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for the feed back guys , I have put 2 corals in but I think I'm gonna wait and get my water dialled in correctly had its mainly going to be corals that I want to keep , I thought that phosphates would lower if my nitrates lower also ?

OP
OP
P

Philsreefjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water change will likely be your best bet. do you mix your own salt? always make sure the new water matches the parameters of the old water.
No I'm not mixing my own salt its all from my local lps they use red sea blue bucket, gonna keep a record and check each week other than other thinking it every day and chasing number's

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back