Derasa Clam placement question

jpt100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers!
Is a Derasa clam ok on the sand with nothing underneath? I've had him for 3 days and he's been on the sand ever since. He looks
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1429671239.740749.jpg
healthy and seems to be doing good, except Ive seen him flinch a few times when the lights are going down. He closes up for a few seconds and then opens right back up. No fish were around it so i don't know what spooked it. I'm asking because I had a maxima last year that I placed directly on the sand and after 2 months it died. He looked healthy and out of no where he went downhill. After a closer look I noticed that there were a few bristle works eating it from underneath. I'm wondering if it was because I placed him in the sand and because of that his foot was exposed to the worms in the sand. Do u guys think I should place a rock under the Derasa? Or will he be ok sitting "bareback" on the sand?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your clam will be fine in the sand bed. The bristleworms you saw on the Maxima were attracted to the dying clam.

OP
OP
jpt100

jpt100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Thank you for your quick response...I'll leave him on the sand. Thanks again!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept mine in the sand for a few years until I let my maintenance slack in that tank and my nitrates skyrocketed. Then it died. Having surgery will do that to ya..

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick a rock under it, then place sand on top. I feel it helps the clam anchor on to something, it would prevent it from getting tipped over. When they do their little water spurts, it might tip itself over if its not anchored.
IMAG0875.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 59 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back