Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s this clam look I picked it up from Petco for 33 after the sale… I know it’s a derasa clam I did some research as Petco had it for a week before I got it and I waited till it went on sale so I know that they can do highlighting just seeing if anyone can recommend any advice that may be pretty knowledgeable on clams. It’s also in my little frag tank right now and I eventually plan to move it to my display tank. I do not have much room on my sand bed, and I’m not sure how much power I will receive on my sand bed. I have some nice arches that I would like to put it on if possible. Can anyone offer any advice on this? I will provide pictures of the arches and where I would like to put it. It is very close to the surface where the clam could receive very high par 

IMG_6487.jpeg IMG_6488.jpeg IMG_6489.jpeg IMG_6490.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some white rims around the periphery which si a very good sign that it is currently healthy. I can’t comment on placement since I’m too chicken to get one. Best of luck with it!
Thank you I am also very chicken and very scared to have it however for $33. I figured I’ve lost money on a lot of other stuff and they are really nice. It was really reactive in the store and even when I was adding it to the tank so that made me feel really well. My biggest concern is trying to get it the right amount of par, but if you have a Petco near you, I advise checking it out as they are doing 25% off all salt water the next two days

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not already, dose phytoplankton in your tanks. Your clam will thank you!
I have been dosing in my main display tank with most of my coral so I shall start dosing the frag tank that this is in as well, which I had already been planning to do

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I am also very chicken and very scared to have it however for $33. I figured I’ve lost money on a lot of other stuff and they are really nice. It was really reactive in the store and even when I was adding it to the tank so that made me feel really well. My biggest concern is trying to get it the right amount of par, but if you have a Petco near you, I advise checking it out as they are doing 25% off all salt water the next two days
Thanks for that heads up! I might have to check it out.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know! I have some fish sitting in my cart. Will go to my local petco today and get them to order them for me for delivery to the store so I have some guarantees I. The event that something happens. Super excited!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing in my main display tank with most of my coral so I shall start dosing the frag tank that this is in as well, which I had already been planning to do
Phytoplankton is great in any tank with filter feeders, so I would start Dosing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How’s this clam look I picked it up from Petco for 33 after the sale… I know it’s a derasa clam I did some research as Petco had it for a week before I got it and I waited till it went on sale so I know that they can do highlighting just seeing if anyone can recommend any advice that may be pretty knowledgeable on clams. It’s also in my little frag tank right now and I eventually plan to move it to my display tank. I do not have much room on my sand bed, and I’m not sure how much power I will receive on my sand bed. I have some nice arches that I would like to put it on if possible. Can anyone offer any advice on this? I will provide pictures of the arches and where I would like to put it. It is very close to the surface where the clam could receive very high par 

IMG_6487.jpeg IMG_6488.jpeg IMG_6489.jpeg IMG_6490.jpeg
Clam looks good. I dont recommend them for newer tank but a tank of stable parameters often at 6 months.
Clams dont fall down quick unless something was off with water quality as they are sensitive specimens. You CAN’T allow ammonia or nitrates levels to build up and you therefore want to develop a schedule of 20% water changes weekly. Add occasional trace elements the clam will need to survive .
Changes in temperature, oxygen levels, pH, or alk can make your clam unhappy and also need for light and lots of it which enables photosynthesis carried out by the zooxanthellae within their mantle. Without proper and adequate light, most any clam will starve.
A few numbers to keep in mind with them (ranges) :
Temperature not to exceed 80
Ca not to exceed 450
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Alk not to exceed 11
Salinity best at 1.025
Nitrate not to exceed.8
Moderate water flow
Good lighting

These are ranges and not absolute. If you learn nothing today yet, remember this rule: The more colorful the clam, the more light it requires.
Light and flow are two of the most important considerations for all reef clams. There are many types of clams, and not all require the same lighting especially a myth that all clams need high-intensity lighting. My favorite clam species are crocea and maxima clams for ease of care but they also require more light. Gigas and derasa clams can get by in deeper tanks with use of t5 or LED lighting.
Crocea and maxima clams do best under high-intensity, reef-ready lights. Maxima is my favorite.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know! I have some fish sitting in my cart. Will go to my local petco today and get them to order them for me for delivery to the store so I have some guarantees I. The event that something happens. Super excited!
Yes, my local pet store had a pamphlet two weeks ago so I have been waiting. The online sale is really well as well cause you can get anything and it’s also a seven day guarantee they do not guarantee if you buy in store. I got a fire shrimp a ton of snails and crabs a royal gramma and that clam so far

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cradle for it. The one thing you dont want to do is move it after it attaches.
Nice score for the $'s.
Yes, I was just looking into them and wondering how that would do. I’m wondering if I put it in a cradle and then put it at the top on the rocks how that would do if you add it to the cradle, can you take it out of the cradle after it grows or is it basically stuck in the cradle

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was just looking into them and wondering how that would do. I’m wondering if I put it in a cradle and then put it at the top on the rocks how that would do if you add it to the cradle, can you take it out of the cradle after it grows or is it basically stuck in the cradle
You can move it around once it attatches but its best to find a spot and leave it. Others can chime in as I am only saying what friends with them have. I have never had one yet so.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine without a cradle but a cradle does help stabilize them

clam5.jpg
clam1.jpg
clam4.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Derasa at that will most likely not attach for very long, if at all. I would keep it on the sand or slightly elevated flat surface where it can't fall over/off. They do not go on the rockwork, these are free-standing species, meaning they will use their size and weight to keep them in place. You'll want to provide enough full spectrum light to keep new shell growth, what that amount is will be based on that particular clam's needs. As a starting point, I would shoot for 200 micro moles (give or take a little) for at least 8hrs a day.
If you want to dose phyto for the whole tank, that's definitely a good thing, but don't think the phyto addition is something that is required to keep clams, because it's not. Stable parameters like you would keep with any coral and you'll be fine. Light is the driving force with clams and there's no substitute that will make up for the lack of light, none. Buy this book to learn more about keeping clams and what they require. Derasa are generally pretty hardy, but they get big, so plan on making room for it. Derasa can grow about 1" to 2" a year in good conditions.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clam looks good. I dont recommend them for newer tank but a tank of stable parameters often at 6 months.
Clams dont fall down quick unless something was off with water quality as they are sensitive specimens. You CAN’T allow ammonia or nitrates levels to build up and you therefore want to develop a schedule of 20% water changes weekly. Add occasional trace elements the clam will need to survive .
Changes in temperature, oxygen levels, pH, or alk can make your clam unhappy and also need for light and lots of it which enables photosynthesis carried out by the zooxanthellae within their mantle. Without proper and adequate light, most any clam will starve.
Ca not to exceed 450
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Alk not to exceed 11
Salinity best at 1.025
Nitrate not to exceed.8
Moderate water flow
Good lighting

These are ranges and not absolute. If you learn nothing today yet, remember this rule: The more colorful the clam, the more light it requires.
Light and flow are two of the most important considerations for all reef clams. There are many types of clams, and not all require the same lighting especially a myth that all clams need high-intensity lighting. My favorite clam species are crocea and maxima clams for ease of care but they also require more light. Gigas and derasa clams can get by in deeper tanks with use of t5 or LED lighting.
Crocea and maxima clams do best under high-intensity, reef-ready lights. Maxima is my favorite.
The coloration of a clam’s mantle has nothing to do with light intensity or an indication of how much light is required. In fact, there are several things that contribute to the color, some of which have no other function other to block uv light. What happens if NO3 is >8ppm? Also, 1.025 translates to 33.5ppt, which is kind of low? What happens at 6 months?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The coloration of a clam’s mantle has nothing to do with light intensity or an indication of how much light is required. In fact, there are several things that contribute to the color, some of which have no other function other to block uv light. What happens if NO3 is >8ppm? Also, 1.025 translates to 33.5ppt, which is kind of low? What happens at 6 months?
As many seminars ive attended and attending with two known speakers on clams, salinity range mentioned is often 1.023-1.025 while I dont agree with 1.023. Additionally, everyone runs their tank a different way and you mention specific while I mention ranges. When you are running a large tank with Many corals, you have to balance out certain parameters to keep hard and soft corals satisfied and cannot be specific . Ive had clams a few years without any issue and have recommended things to many including those with sick clams and they were successful. It was Jake who mentioned of light intensity role and has worked well for me as a rule of thumb.
What happens at 6 months? What happens at one month or 3 years- we dont know but you will, as I have found various parameters, light-flow-location has worked for many and are Not specific in many cases.
Now it would be interesting to do a thread and see what others run their parameters at what makes their clam keeping successful such as light, flow, locatiom, feeding, etc.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho clams really aren't as sensitive as some will have you believe! Well in my experience anyway with Maxima, Squamosa, derasa and the hippopus clams. I Can't really comment on crocea and others, or others experiences for that matter. But when I moved house I left the tank at the old one for like 4 months. I neglected it only going back once a week to feed the fish. I did nothing, no dosing, no water changes. Algae and cyano built up so much I couldn't see in. God knows my parameters I didn't check but in the end when I eventually got around to breaking down the tank it was just the clams, fish and a couple softies left. Sps & lps dead.
Obviously I don't recommend that, its just an alternative experience for someone to take from it what they will.
All clams and fish were safely moved across to the new pond in the end so all was well.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As many seminars ive attended and attending with two known speakers on clams, salinity range mentioned is often 1.023-1.025 while I dont agree with 1.023. Additionally, everyone runs their tank a different way and you mention specific while I mention ranges. When you are running a large tank with Many corals, you have to balance out certain parameters to keep hard and soft corals satisfied and cannot be specific . Ive had clams a few years without any issue and have recommended things to many including those with sick clams and they were successful. It was Jake who mentioned of light intensity role and has worked well for me as a rule of thumb.
What happens at 6 months? What happens at one month or 3 years- we dont know but you will, as I have found various parameters, light-flow-location has worked for many and are Not specific in many cases.
Now it would be interesting to do a thread and see what others run their parameters at what makes their clam keeping successful such as light, flow, locatiom, feeding, etc.
Yeah, I think the salinity advice from them is a little skewed at best, especially considering that most clams live within 34-36ppt, with the Red Sea at 40ppt. Plus, our test kits are based off of 35ppt, which a lot of people miss. I loved Jake, but completely disagree about the color of mantles being an indication of lighting requirements. H. hippopus is found no further than 5-7m down and maxima can be found slightly deeper than that and we can both agree that the mantles of both species are extremely different.
In fact, I have two croceas and the teal/blue one prefers slightly lower light than the gold one. Scientific research shows that mantle coloration has nothing to do with light intensities, it’s purely random genetics and the mix of zoox, iridophores, etc.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca not to exceed 450
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Alk not to exceed 11
Salinity best at 1.025
Nitrate not to exceed.8
Moderate water flow
Good lighting

Wow, I got a deresa on the bottom in the sand with params at: temp:77-78, kh:8.3-8.7(but have seen 8 and 10.56), ca:413-460, Sal:35-37, ph:7.9-8.4 no3:10-20 and po4:.08-.2 and he's happy as a clam!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back