Could This Clam Survive

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
Got this dude a few days ago, was opening up nice and happy, but every morning it’d be tipped over, either by him moving himself, or my stupid hermits. I’m not sure, but I assume the inverts. I’d bury him pretty deep on top of a shell surface for him to attach to, but he wasn’t attached yet. This morning his bottom looked like this. There was a pretty good sized chunk of something gross floating around the tank this morning, and the maxima clam was laying on its side. I put the clam in a small cup with sand in the tank so nothing can mess with it, and it’s opening very slowly. If I disturb it, it closes up again, so I know it’s at least alive. Is there any chance this maxima clam recovers, and what should I do differently if I get on in the future?

IMG_0547.jpeg

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it dropped its foot. Usually, they don't make it once they drop their foot, but there is always a chance. You should do as little as possible to stress it out, and make sure to feed it with phytoplankton regularly.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it dropped its foot. Usually, they don't make it once they drop their foot, but there is always a chance. You should do as little as possible to stress it out, and make sure to feed it with phytoplankton regularly.
Gotcha, will do. Think there’s any chance it will regrow it’s foot if it pulls through?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the clams bysal filaments, and they can grow again, it happened to my squamosa. It's fairly quick even. It should be fine I think, but of course it needs the best conditions... good water quality and good lighting (just saying cause I don't know anything about your tank)

There are some clam masters here, wait for more comments from them.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you mean bury him? You should probably put it up high in your rock work or on a solid surface that has access to high light intensity. Maximas want to be attached to a solid surface, not buried in the sand.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean bury him? You should probably put it up high in your rock work or on a solid surface that has access to high light intensity. Maximas want to be attached to a solid surface, not buried in the sand.
Sorry, I should have clarified more. I have him placed on a hollowed out shell to attach to, with sand then filled around the clam so it wouldn’t tip over (that obviously worked well). It hadn’t been attached to anything yet, and I was informed this would be a good way of letting it attach.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just put it on a solid surface and let it figure it out. They'll attach once they feel comfortable in that spot. If it keeps moving, then it's looking for a better spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back