New clams

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 new clams on my rocks , F knows where they come from
I was feeding my cbb clams while I had her but unfortunately lost her a month ago
Have the clams I was putting in spawned?

IMG_2482.jpeg IMG_2481.jpeg

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be Piddock clams, common on live rock. Harmless and hardy, filter feeders I think. Those look much older than newly spawned month-old clams based on size and coralline coverage

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you feeding live clams? I still find it hard to believe even if you were that not only did they spawn both male and female in a time of stress that the contents of that spawn were not filtered out. I believe clams also have a larval stage that is pelagic. Some clams actually have a stage in their life where they are parasitic on fish. Most grocery bought clams are from temperate waters not tropical so for them to live at typical reef temps they dont last long usually a couple weeks at most.

Where is the rock from? how long have you had it? If its live rock my guess is they have been on that and have moved to a better spot that you can now see.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be Piddock clams, common on live rock. Harmless and hardy, filter feeders I think. Those look much older than newly spawned month-old clams based on size and coralline coverage
Thanks
I would have noticed them before now, the rocks 8 year old!

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you feeding live clams? I still find it hard to believe even if you were that not only did they spawn both male and female in a time of stress that the contents of that spawn were not filtered out. I believe clams also have a larval stage that is pelagic. Some clams actually have a stage in their life where they are parasitic on fish. Most grocery bought clams are from temperate waters not tropical so for them to live at typical reef temps they dont last long usually a couple weeks at most.

Where is the rock from? how long have you had it? If its live rock my guess is they have been on that and have moved to a better spot that you can now see.
Yes live clams, I live in Portugal but I don’t know where they come from
8 years the rock from Fiji

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It was a hitchhiker from somewhere. Don't know where but it's been there for years now
Thanks, I knew you had one but never introduced one that you knew of.

I've had new ones pop up in my tank, a year after I got live rock, and they move around. So it's completely possible to get them as hitchhikers.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very old, originally Fiji rock. And I found a couple of these when I swapped tanks and flipped some rock over to aquascape. After like 15 years! And they were still alive and responsive to light. Probably will outlive me! Hardy little buggers

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a Tridacna Squamosina tomorrow, difficult to keep?
Will go on sand bed of course but will it recurve enough light of my maxspect r6 ?
Settings on sps reef

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back