John's SPS Shallow 90g Peninsula-Lagoon build

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,
My name is John and this is my official 90g sps peninsula-lagoon build. As the title suggests, it's a peninsula (slash) lagoon style tank. (Well, at least that's what I'm calling it, so there.)
I love shallow tanks and I like them wide as well. My original thought was a 48x24x16, but I only had one place to put the tank and those dimensions didn't really work for that space, so I shaved off 12" from one side and added it to the other, so now it's 36x36x16 (roughly 90 gallons).
I wanted something modern looking, a floating canopy with a metal stand, wrapped in walnut.
After spending some time with SketchUp (and a lot of swearing at the computer) I created some drawings and this is the final concept.
STAND Temp.jpg
I drew inspiration from Aaron's (SPS coral store) stands that he built for some of his customers. I originally wanted him to build my stand, but our schedules didn't quite match, so I had to look elsewhere (and come up with the drawing myself). Fortunately, I found a local welder who happens to be in the hobby and the journey begins.
Stay tuned, there's more to come.
John

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John that stand is gorgeous definitely following! If you ever feel like making another let me know :)

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here's a short list of the equipment involved.
Trigger systems emerald 34 sump (bought it last year during BRS's black Friday sale)
Synergy reef shadow ghost overflow
Vectra M1
Finnex titanium heaters (2 x 300w)
Nyos quantum 160 skimmer (still need to buy it)
Kessil AP700'S (2)
GHL Doser 2 (from my current 22g)
New Apex (2016) plus two EB8's

I just got a Tunze stream 3 yesterday, but it's too big for my shallow tank. Anyone interested, lmk? It was in the tank for a half hour (only has RO water in it, leak testing) I really dig this pump, but the footprint is too big for me.
That's all for now.

mr.Green

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really solid build man! Looking very promising. I love how you'd made the canopy sit with the stand, slick! Are you going to run walls on the entire stand? What's your thoughts for livestock? How do you think the Kessils will fare with being close to the surface? Are you expecting a "spot" effect from them (lighting only a part of the tank), perhaps thats the plan (and combine it with scaping)?
Cheers!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back