where do you guys get your 3" or bigger frag plates?

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I've searching for some big plate to grow couple colonies on
i found this but before i pull the trigger was wondering if there was anything else out there

besides using tile from HD

heres what i found 20 XXL 3" Ceramic Frag Disks

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the frag disk you are considering and the company that produces them.It seems that a dollar a piece is the going rate for large disk.Maybe someone knows of another source #REEFSQUAD ?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about The Alternative Reef? gooch

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the price but I love all of the products from Scott at the alternative reef. Only plugs/discs I'll use anymore. I know he makes big discs and squares. Maybe shoot him a pm.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We offer 3" disks and 3" square tiles. They are a little less than 1/4" thick, probably closer to 1/8". We also do not use a porcelain slip and our disks and tiles(so I have been told) do not tear up saw blades when cutting into them quite as bad as the porcelain which is a harder less porous material. This also gives us a very consistent product not like some that pour slip into a dixie cup. When you order from us you pretty much know how thick they will be.

We sell a 4" tile as well. You can buy as few as six but they come 30 to a box. Our price when ordering a box is less than $.85 each retail. 4" are about $1.25 in 30 count packs. They are more in six packs. But only $1 each for 3" and $1.50 each for 4" in six packs. Most people spring for the 30 count box. I even have some breeding facilities using these tiles in their breeding program. I have had guys line the bottom of a tank with these so they can grow out a carpet of corals instead of a sand bed.

Scott
Alternative Reef

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We offer 3" disks and 3" square tiles. They are a little less than 1/4" thick, probably closer to 1/8". We also do not use a porcelain slip and our disks and tiles(so I have been told) do not tear up saw blades when cutting into them quite as bad as the porcelain which is a harder less porous material. This also gives us a very consistent product not like some that pour slip into a dixie cup. When you order from us you pretty much know how thick they will be.

We sell a 4" tile as well. You can buy as few as six but they come 30 to a box. Our price when ordering a box is less than $.85 each retail. 4" are about $1.25 in 30 count packs. They are more in six packs. But only $1 each for 3" and $1.50 each for 4" in six packs. Most people spring for the 30 count box. I even have some breeding facilities using these tiles in their breeding program. I have had guys line the bottom of a tank with these so they can grow out a carpet of corals instead of a sand bed.

Scott
Alternative Reef
And this is why people should always check out R2R sponsors, they are pretty much the best

Reefcreators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

Who in the world makes porcelain disks? I don't think I have ever seen those nor would I ever use them either.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are really smooth and shiny it very well could be a porcelain. I deal with seriously hundreds of stores and growers and have been told in conversation our products are not as hard on saws. Hold glue better and do not grow as much algae. Yes all anecdotal but when professionals who use tens of thousands of them every year tell you this it kinda holds a lot of weight. When you get plugs that shatter when you try to frag them that is probably a porcelain slip. Can I 100% guarantee others use porcelain? No, I honestly stopped worrying about what others do and I focus more on how I can put out the best products possible but I know others have used it in the past so I have no reason not to believe it is still not used. We use a clay body that has the most porosity we can attain. In fact we have our own formula that we use to make our plugs. We seriously order 12,000 pounds of clay at a time and do that at least quarterly. It may dip a little since we are changing up some of our hand sculpting and doing less of that with clay and more with the new material but we still use tons of it. I just looked at the link above and my guess is it is rather a porcelain slip or a white slip. I have never used them so I probably should not of guessed like that, my bad. All I know is many times my clay supplier has tried to get me to switch clay bodies. Porcelain is one they try to get me to use when I am out of mine and they can not fit mine into the production schedule. I have about 10,000 of those bone white plugs we made using the other materials and I refuse to sell them. I just think it is a junk material in comparison to what I use and it is only my opinion. Take it for what it is. But I had far more breakage and issues with the other clay bodies. If you like another product in no way am I trying to deter you from purchasing them. I was notified that someone mentioned us in this post so I felt compelled to talk about our offerings and the fact that our prices are better than what they post. But I have made millions of frag plugs over the years so in regards to my products and what I want in a frag plug I think I know what I am talking about. My repeat customers do too. We didn't invent the frag plug, but we were the first ceramic frag plug on the market and we have been making them for over ten years with the same formula.

Last edited:

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - Gooch(Scott) The alternative reef

Makes awesome stuff - I have multiple grow out stations, plugs and discs from him and all are awesome. Definitely the way to go.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back