Sticking Frags

maverick451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use superglue gel to stick frags to shells or small pieces of rock but find that after about a month alot start be become lose and float away.

If I get a slither of rock with the frag it stays put no probs but this isnt always possible or practical

anyone else have this probem? any suggestions?

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a dremel even if it isnt the "dremel" dremel jsut get a rotary tool i think thats what they are called i just call it a dremel

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are gluing just polyps, i have something you could give a shot. When i'm gluing just polyps to a shell or frag disc, i put the dab of glue on the frag disc, then gently push the polyp into the glue, making sure it can still open up. Then i place the disc into a old plastic jar that used to have Kent superbuffer Dkh in it. I have a 1/2" hole drilled into the bottom of the jar to let water in and i slowely sink it to the bottom of the tank.

I've found this works great. It gives the polyps a low flow area so they can attach easily. It also provides an area that if the polyp does come loose, it usually just finds a spot to rest inside the jar, lowering the chance of the polyp going missing altogether.

Another thing you might try is holding the polyp down with some wedding veil.

OP
OP
maverick451

maverick451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I write this thread what I find works great is a really sharp pen knife, they are alot stronger than razor bades and I can scrape of a bit of rock quite easilly

bngowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes.. i mean sometimes the zoa actually spreads onto the glue and onto the live rock rubble or frag plug and its fine..but yea..sometimes it does fall off..i gues its hit and miss?

if anything i heard that reg. super glue works soo much better..but sooo hard to work with cuz its liquid..

redsonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get polyps off still attached to a sliver of rock, new razor blades usually go through LR nicely. It's a bit of a learning curve to get rock and not polyps or mat (or fingers!) but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

If I end up with loose polyps I loosely rubberband them to the plug, enough pressure to keep contact but not enough to bite into the mat. So far they've attached and grown onto the plug in a week or at most two depending on the zoa and frag size. I just spent an hour this afternoon gently taking rubberbands off frags we made a couple of weeks ago and all but one was attached and stayed that way.

-Sonja

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back