How do you get the rocks to stick together!?

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I have done marine fishkeeping for a long time but most of it was fish only aquariums, or maybe a small hermit crab or shrimp. Nothing which could move the rocks themselves, so for years I just placed them together in a form that worked and was sturdy.

Fast forward to now and I have a emerald crab and...yeah. So I got some milliput and tried to use it to bond some of my live rock together (Yes this is some old stuff I got locally). Put them together. Held them in place for a few minutes. Falls off.
So placed 2 piece on top in a way which would stay there regardless. Placed it in the aquarium. Next day lift the top rock and milliput has bonded to it, but not the base rock.
Then I got some D-D coralline coloured stuff. Tried a entire stick and didn't get a single piece to adhere. This resulted in talc releasing which I did not know was a thing and Fluval EVO + No Skimmer (refugium based) = 5 dead fish!!!

So take a few weeks away from the aquarium. Sort water quality out, big water changes, let everything settle again. Now I tried Ecotech glue to bond the rocks. Exactly the same problem. Won't adhere 2 rocks together. At this stage, I have practically given up and looking at a alternative route. The live rock is rather porous stuff and you can break it with your own hands, so its not tough to begin with. I also tried a toothbrush to clean the specific contact patches.

So am I being super silly and missing something? I obviously did with the loss of the fish and feel awful for it. It was only going through it that I discovered about this.

Do most people do this with dry rock and in a dry environment prior to using it? I though doing so inside the aquarium was okay but I'm just killing animals and losing money. I have never gone through something like that in my 16+ years of fishkeeping, and don't intend on doing it again.

Thanks for any feedback / tips / advice. I'm currently considering just designing and 3D printing my own rockwork designs, and fitting some broken up live rock inside to seed them. Original ones from last year went well.

- Paul

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Super glue and Aragonite sand is an option. Some people get a small pile of sand, dump regular super glue on it and add the next rock on top, others use gel super glue and push the rocks together and then sprinkle sand on it to hide the glue.

One thing to keep in mind, regardless of what you use to glue them together you have to make sure both areas of free from dirt and dust.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back