Corals doing great FISH NOT SO MUCH HELP?!!

lah0804

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here is a quick rundown. I moved about three months ago, transporting my tank on a four hour drive. Everything lived through the move and did great. Now while living in Raleigh I had a 24gal nan cube that I then trade to a buddy of mine for his 46 gal bow front. With that said I had to purchase new live sand and some extra live rock. I did add some of my old sand bed to the new set up and all the live rock was cycled through also. My nitrates look great as well as all the other perameters of my water. I do a 10gal water change every two weeks and add trace elements and calcium twice a week. I feed optimum flakes twice a week in small portions and a combination of reef frenzy frozen food and frozen fish roe twice a week for my fish and corals. I have a great clean up crew of about twenty snails (turbo & nassarius), 10 hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1 longspine urchin and a cleaner shrimp. I have lots of corals that are doing great and growing very nice, however when it comes to my fish not so much. Before the move I only had 2 clowns 1 black and 1 orange. After moving everything I did not add anything for about a month. About a month ago I added a yellow tang, I was thinking that I did not drip him long enough because once he was added he developed a white spot...After a few days it went away then a week later he was full of white ich spots, few days later I lost him. Ok, whith that said I gave my tank about another month before trying to add anymore fish. Two weeks ago I tried again... adding two fish together to try and make the transition easier, a yellow mimic and a 6 line wrasse. I dripped both for almost three hours to get them up to my salinity (1.025) since the fish store keeps theres much lower. Both fish started off doing great however now after two weeks in my tank they are developing white spots all over themselves? My clowns are fine so I was thinking that there is no way my tank has ich? The only thing I can think is that enough algea is not being produced for the mimic to eat properly? Therefore recently I have been feeding my frozen food in very small amounts each night to give that a try? Any thoughts I am about fed up flushing money down the toilet, thinking of just keeping it a reef tank with two clowns?

OP
OP
L

lah0804

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys I made a typo I feed flakes twice a day in very small amounts and frozen twice a week for corals, fish and inverts. Thanks

sooley19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same reason of why they can absorb the stings from anemones, torches, hammers and frogspawns.. They build up a mucus on themselves that let's them be immune to them

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your other fish could be carrying ich, or another parasite for that matter. Some fish are exposed to parasites and build an immunity, yet the parasite can still exist on their tissue. Its the same principle as people who can carry a virus, long after showing symptoms. In this case, the only real solution, would be to remove all your fish into another tank, treat them for a parasitic infection and allow your main tank to run fallow for about 2 months. Any parasite within the tank will be dead, and anything your fish could be carrying, should be dead as well.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pH is low and your nitrates high I would add macro algae in some kind of partition to from an in tank refugium.

Bu then I always like macro algae anyway.

my .02

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also reconsider a tang in a 46 gal. a small tank like that will probably keep it stressed out all the time. They like lots of room to swim.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back