revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get Off Your Wrasse! You Can't Automate Glass: By Tyler Dwight

dirty-tank-_zps70267dbf.jpg

Most hobbyists dive into this hobby as a way to relax and have a tiny portion of the ocean in their homes. Another common denominator is that we have jobs to support these intense systems our friends call “aquariums.†We know these are more than just aquariums. They are homes to more animals than we can see. Every cubic inch of space is inhabited by something, be it a tang or a tiny bacteria. However, some of us have jobs that are fairly tiring. By the time we get home we may be exhausted, which ends up leading to a very stinky tank after a few weeks of staring at it hands free. See the varying attention we pay: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...911-how-much-time-do-you-spend-your-tank.html

What do you do when your time is taken up by other things? There are plenty of ways to reduce maintenance on your tank. Prioritize. What is the worst issue you have to deal with? Algae? Water changes? Feeding?! Whatever the need, there is an automated method or an alternative system to suit your needs. Let us discuss some of the more common maintenance bugs and ways to get around them smoother.

Algae- This is by far the most common issue with even the most established of systems. Algae is very adaptable and can grow under many circumstances. The first thing to do is find the source of your algae. Start by testing the water. High phosphates can often be the culprit. In this case it would be wise to install a phosban reactor or even an algae turf scrubber. These dramatically reduce phosphates to zero when setup correctly, eliminating algae from your display tank.

ATO- Auto top offs completely over rule any other form of automation. They keep the salt levels stable and more importantly they keep the sump or aquarium full. A dry sump means a dry pump which can catch on fire, heaters can explode, and probes can dry out and become useless. They can even dose Kalk into your system as it precipitates.

Float Switches- Switches can alarm you during floods, shut pumps off when too low, and save you a lot of anguish. They can be implemented in ATO units, RO units for auto fill, and in your display tank to prevent flooding when your overflow gets clogged.

Water changes- Automated water changes can make or break a marriage. If you have a 500 gallon tank and you spend your weekends mixing up saltwater you do not have much time for your loved ones. Besides, you already spend hours after work staring at your tank. An automated water change system is a little complex for the average aquarium, but is worth it when applicable. It requires a way to remove an exact amount of water from your aquarium and replace it with an exact amount of premixed. This can be done with float valves, pumps, and some reservoirs plumbed together. These work well, but require fail safes to prevent any malfunctions.

Feeding- Are you gone when it is time to feed your fish or at least want them on a precise schedule? Auto-feeders can really help keep your fish regular. Feeders can be simple rotating drums or complex dosing stations built into mini-fridges that pump plankton or other small particle foods. The level of complexity depends solely on your tank and what you want to not have to do.

Aquarium Monitors/Controllers- Systems like the Reef Keeper and Apex System can make life so much easier. There are so many advantages to having a monitor or controller. They are well worth the investment. Probes can send signals to things to change things while other sensors or programs are communicating with their designated pieces of equipment. Make waves, control heat/cold, level your pH, keep your ORP stable, and know when exactly you do in fact need to use your hands.

apex_jr_package1_zps03469db2.jpg

There are so many innovations that a small amount of research will help you discover what is best for your situation. However there are things you cannot automate. You will still have to get out the glass scraper and chip off that coraline buildup on your front pane. There will never be a fully automated tank, as some things require the delicate touch of man. We are creating new ways to do things all the time, small ideas often lead to huge advancements in the hobby. Be apart of the Revolution, Upgrade your tanks today!

Here are some automation links to help you get started today!
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/125824-constant-water-change-system.html
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/co...3830-neptune-systems-aquacontroller-apex.html

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a automatic magnet cleaner for your automated glass cleaning :) I've thought about getting one don't know how well they work though

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick three minute wipe down with a mag float every two to three days and a half hour of razor blade once every two months keeps my front glass ready for a photo shoot at a moments notice.

I cant sit down to watch TV if the glass on my tank has a green haze on it.

After eight years, it is automatic for me to do it as soon as I get home from work.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick three minute wipe down with a mag float every two to three days and a half hour of razor blade once every two months keeps my front glass ready for a photo shoot at a moments notice.

I cant sit down to watch TV if the glass on my tank has a green haze on it.

After eight years, it is automatic for me to do it as soon as I get home from work.

I hear ya. Knowing its dirty bugs me so I don't go very long without a quick wipe with a glass scrubber.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back