How long has your reef tank been running?

kred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started a 90g tank 1 month ago. But I had a 55g Fowlr many rears ago that ended tragically.
After being on this forum and others, it seems that you read an awful lot about problems (people have a place to get answers-good thing:)) and disasters.
I was just wondering how long does any one keep a reef tank up and running without having big issues?
90g tank
30g sump
100lbs lr
Maxspect razors-2 10k
Dsb
Reef octopus skimmer

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will always be some Issues. My tank has done well for 20+ years.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No big problems in over three years. I took things slowly so there wasn't any big issues. Minor problems were lack of knowledge and lack of quality equipment, and money.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 36g bowfront has been running only since December 2012, however the 90g that I had before I downsized ran from 2004-2012 without ever having any issues. I kept easy corals but I had a sweet Navarchus angel most of that time. I had to trade it in when I downsized :-(

h2oraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g that has been up and running for about 8 years. It has had it's share of issues, but as time goes on, and I learn more, it has gotten easier to maintain.

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 has been running 9 years now. It would have been 12 but Hurricane Katrina took care of that...

OP
OP
kred

kred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it sounds like you guys are doing something right. I just hope I can get this one up and running for some length of time.
Thanks for the feedback.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100G is over 11 years now and doing well, the 90G it replaced was 13 years old. My 16G nano has been up for 27 years.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 years, started when i was 19 and had no clue what i was doing. many issues in the past, none in the past 3 years

Fish Art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
This tank has been up and running for over 6 years, some of the corals are over 9 years. Started out with a 45 gal tank before moving everything into a 75 gal 9 years ago.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a bit of a knothead and relatively new to the hobby, I tend to cause more disasters than I should, lol. It also doesn't help that I've frequently had to move and essentially start over. I can't remember the longest I've gone without a crash. I've been studying like crazy, though, and hopefully this move will be the last for a while.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a bit of a knothead and relatively new to the hobby, I tend to cause more disasters than I should, lol. It also doesn't help that I've frequently had to move and essentially start over. I can't remember the longest I've gone without a crash. I've been studying like crazy, though, and hopefully this move will be the last for a while.

I'm sorry that you have had to deal with so much adversity with your hobby. I hope that things are moving in an upswing for you now and glad that you have persevered thru it all. The studying you've done and all your experiences both good and bad will help you with your current and future tanks!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry that you have had to deal with so much adversity with your hobby. I hope that things are moving in an upswing for you now and glad that you have persevered thru it all. The studying you've done and all your experiences both good and bad will help you with your current and future tanks!

Not yet. We're moving yet again and I'm having to downgrade back to my sumpless 50g, at least for now. >.< I do get to go back to the town I've missed like crazy since we left it, though! Not an LFS in sight, but I get most of my dry goods online anyway.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 65 gallon reef up and running for almost a year - had a 54 gallon FO that I converted to a reef that was running about a year before the conversion to reef. (knock on wood) no major problems.........

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back