The Holy Grail - Rare marine fish

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked in the public aquarium world, I used to salivate, on days I was working, and a shipment of new arrivals for the tank dubbed two oceans, would arrive. The tanks was over 500,000 gallons, broken off into one large ocean tank, which was home to sharks, groupers, large marine angelfish and a variety of moray eels. While this tank was exciting to work on underwater, it was the small ocean that caught my attention, as a marine aquarist. Many of the fish that appear in the trade, called the small side of the two ocean tank, home. It hadn’t been at the aquarium long, when several pairs of bandit angelfish arrived, and I was called on to assist acclimating them, to their new habitat. During my time at the aquarium, gem tangs, clarion angelfish, napoleon wrasse, and a host of others, all made their way into the water.

Occasionally I speak with someone, bitten by the rare fish bug. Considering that many rare specimens cost well over $ 500 dollars, some tipping the scales at well over $ 2,000, aquarists want to be sure that if they acquire one, it will survive long-term. Today, corals seem to get a lot of attention, due to color morph and rarity, and it’s been a while since I’ve heard a lot of chatter about the host of rare fish, available in the trade. If you think rare fish, have to cost a fortune, think again. Many rare fish aren’t more expensive than common counterparts, but simply have a poor history of survivability in our aquariums. Here are some rare species, which make their way into the trade each year, with some insight in how to care for them, if you happen to snag one for your aquarium.

Curacao Deep Sea Candy Basslet: Liopropoma carmabi

This little guy is only around 3 inches, when nearly full size. Considering that it retails for between $ 700-1000 dollars, each tiny inch carries an extreme price tag. While it has an extreme cost, these fish exist at well over 300 feet, off the Caribbean island of Curacao. Curacao is the C, in the Dutch Caribbean island chain, known as the ABC islands, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. In order to capture a candy basslet, collectors must employ deep sea submersibles, and use special precautions when bringing the fish to the surface, so that their swim bladder does not rupture, from the immense change in pressure. All that skill and equipment, is reflected in the cost of such a small fish.

While small, the candy basslet is a gem, in the aquarium. Like its relative, the Swiss Guard basslet, the candy basslet is an easy keeper. An aquarium of at least 30 gallons is necessary, and a diet of meaty foods, will keep this species in good shape. A tight fitting aquarium lid is a must, as basslets, like wrasses, are known jumpers. Finding a $ 700 dollar fish, dried up on the floor, would be any aquarist’s nightmare. These little holy grails are reef safe, but are known to pick at small shrimp and hermit crabs, if given the chance. If you are looking for a hardy, rare and beautiful specimen, and the price tag doesn’t put you off, the candy basslet is a wonderful little fish.

I recommend keeping candy basslets in small tanks, with a few choice live rock hiding places. Also, a non-reef, or reef with corals that don’t demand a lot of light, works best. These little guys don’t like bright lighting, (though they will adapt) and are very shy. A 30 gallon tank, with subdued lighting, can assure that you will see your basslet often. In large reef tanks with bright lighting, often these guys are so cryptic, they rarely appear.

Liopropoma-carmabi-sanjay-joshi-9-2009.jpg

Clarion Angelfish: Holacanthus clarionensis

The clarion angelfish is native to the cool pacific waters, of Mexico’s west coast. Since they exist in sub-tropical waters, an aquarium that never reaches temperatures above 75 degrees, often works best. When temperatures get high, bypassing 80 degrees, it can wreak havoc on this species immune system, resulting in fungal infections and preventable parasitic outbreaks. Clarion angelfish are now being captive bred, but sadly, still command a price exceeding $ 7,000 dollars.

Clarions are best suited to a species specific tank, due to their fondness of cooler water and complete lack of reef compatibility. These angelfish will consume stony corals, along with soft, and any mobile invertebrate is on the menu. They can be successfully kept with a host of non-symbiotic, cool water anemones and gorgonians. Like all angelfish, meaty foods supplemented with sponge and seaweed, work best when feeding this species.

Given their unique care requirements, the clarion is a gorgeous rare fish, best suited for an advanced aquarist, prepared to devote an entire 200+ gallon size aquarium, solely to them.

clarion.jpg

Japanese Interruptus Angelfish: Centropyge interruptus

Even though the Japanese interruptus angelfish, hails from the dwarf centropyge family, they still require a 70 to 100 gallon aquarium. Like the clarion angelfish, this species prefers cool water, typically around 72 degrees. They are somewhat reef safe, but will nibble on stony and soft corals, and pick at mobile invertebrates. Aside from temperature, their care requirements mirror those of other dwarf angelfish. Expect to shell out around $ 2,000 dollar or more, if you are able to find one for sale. These fish prefer subdued lighting, as well as cooler temperatures, and like the clarion, are best suited to an aquarium display, dedicated solely to them.

tn_IMG_8463.jpg

Golden Angelfish: Centropyge aurantia

Unlike the other angelfish species mentioned, the golden dwarf angelfish, is a species that won’t break the bank. They can be found online, or in many fish outlets, for around $ 200 or more. They aren’t commonly kept in reef aquariums, mainly because they are extremely difficult to keep. The golden angelfish is small, reaching a mature size of four inches. This species is collected from excessive depths, and struggles to acclimate to aquarium life. Many specimens are not collected properly, and damage to their swim bladder has occurred. Other specimens become so stressed, from capture and shipping, that they refuse to eat, and perish within weeks.

If you are able to acquire a healthy specimen, they make a beautiful, yet cryptic addition to a reef aquarium. Golden angelfish will nip at stony and soft corals, but their small jaws typically are not enough to damage corals. Their care requirements mirror those of other dwarf angelfish, but a long quarantine, in a tank with plenty of live rock and subdued lighting, is a requirement to acclimating this species to captive life.

0006475_golden-angelfish.jpg

Napoleon Wrasse: Cheilinus undulates

This fish appears on many conservation red lists, as a species that is not to be imported into the aquarium trade. Still, from time to time, one pops up for sale. As juveniles, they are five to seven inches, brightly colored and very active. What many aquarists don’t realize, is that this species grows to a whopping ten feet in length. There is simply no home aquarium, (even those in excess of 10,000 gallons) capable of housing this species. They are simply best left in the ocean, or public aquarium display. Even in the public aquarium setting, most Napoleon wrasse were caught by accident, via a fishing or research vessel. Once they reach maturity, often they are returned into the wild, due to their immense size. While working at the Pittsburgh PBG Aquarium, I befriended a small Napoleon wrasse, who would often shadow me, when diving. Luckily, import of this fish is prohibited in many countries.

5-napoleon-wrasse-frankie-1092-c1m2-great-barrier-reef.jpg

The Peppermint Angelfish: Centropyge boylei, also known as Paracentropyge boylei

That brings us to the ultimate rare specimen, the peppermint angelfish. This species’ native home is the waters of the Cook Islands, living at a depth often exceeding 500 feet. They are small, even by dwarf angelfish standards, reaching a mature size under five inches. These fish have a hard time acclimating to captive life, and their survival rate isn’t really known, as so few have entered either private or public aquariums. It’s been theorized, that overall, they are similar to the golden angelfish in both care, and hardiness, making them an expert only species. The Waikki Aquarium in Hawaii, famously was offered $ 30,000 dollars, for a peppermint angelfish in their care. The offer was turned down, but somewhere around five of these species have been sold, all for amounts greater than a new luxury car.

Below is a list, of rare reef fish, which I have worked with and found to be easy to keep tenants. Not all were mentioned in this article, so research on the part of the aquarist is necessary, in order to decide if any of them are right for you. If you desire to keep a rare species, feel free to PM me, and I will offer what advice I can.

Black Tang, Zebrasoma rostratum
Gem Tang, Zebrasoma gemmatum
Candy Basslet, Liopropoma carmabi
Dr. Seuss Fish, Belonoperca pylei
Polleni Grouper, Cephalopholis polleni
Rhinopias Scorpionfish, Rhinopias spp.

Liopropoma-carmabi-sanjay-joshi-9-2009.jpg

clarion.jpg

tn_IMG_8463.jpg

0006475_golden-angelfish.jpg

5-napoleon-wrasse-frankie-1092-c1m2-great-barrier-reef.jpg

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great list. Loved reading up on this and the sub list of fish. That said, I doubt anyone will get their hands on most of these fish bc of their rarity and specific requirements. Too bad though, they are beautiful. From your experience, do you have in your mind another sub-sub list of fish that range on the more rare side but are still relatively available on the market as well as being affordable?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was nose to nose with a golden angelfish yesterday. But chickened out at the price tag. it was right at $200. They also had a few pairs of fireballs too... I have never spent that kind of money on one of the inhabitants of my tank. I came extremely close to pulling the trigger but my wife would have killed me, or at least cut me off for a year or three.

OMG what a beautiful fish. it was fat, healthy and inquisitive.
2014-07-30 14.53.52.jpg

Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a golden for about 6 months way back when ---- the spawning pair of pink skunks chased it into their S. haddoni, they were sold later that week.

Golden8.jpg

Golden10.jpg

QTing a somewhat rare Venustus pair now.

[video=youtube;h4pV1mGo63w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pV1mGo63w&list=UUYRzzmgl7cTBlCSei1ZApCw[/video]

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a golden back trigger years ago...

wowkingjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us (R2R) about the black and Gem tangs. I'm interested but I'm sure other are I seen black go from $500 to $1000.00 and Gem I've seen them go for $2000.00.

OP
OP
reeffirstaid

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A black tang is simply a Zebrasoma species (same as purple tangs, yellow tangs, etc) that originates from the Christmas Islands. In reality, at one point in the hobby, they weren't rare or high priced, but simply were not popular in comparison to yellow tangs and purple tangs. They have a longer nose than other Zebrasoma species, which is why some refer to them as long nose tangs. They are hardy, easy to care for, and about mid-range in their susceptibility to ich. I'd say they are just as easy to keep as a yellow tang.

In French Polynesia, Black Tangs are plentiful, and often collected along with much cheaper fish species, but sold for higher costs, due to their popularity in the U.S.

As for Gem Tangs, they too are a Zebrasoma species, very similar to common sailfin tangs, and just as easy to keep. Unlike black tangs, they are not commonly collected, and very rarely make it into the trade.

As for a sub-sub list. In reality, Mystery Wrasses are not all that common, and are affordable. (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus). The same can be said about bluespot jawfish, (Opistognathus rosenblatti). ORA's gold nugget maroon clownfish are avaliable and rare, but not that cheap. (Premnas biaculeatus). You don't see a ton of swallow tail angelfish in reefs, even though they are beautiful, and reef safe. (Genicanthus semifasciatus). Blue line angelfish are somewhat rare, and not super expensive. Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to see latezonatus clowns every now and then. Usually they would ship poorly, and have popeye, but they are never the less beautiful clowns.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would love to have a golden, price & qt ok with me, but concerned about its long term survival in a brightly lit sps tank with a regal angel already in it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back