Color Blind Reefers

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many color blind reefers are there? What kind of problems do you run into? I personally am red green color blind so testing with normal test kits is a huge pain and I have to rely on other people when I test. I also seem to enjoy different colors in corals than some I guess I just see them differently.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my little girl to read the tests for me.

WeLoveReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from a little birdie that only men can be color blind, any truth to this? Any female color blind reefers out there?

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Hanna Alkalinity checkers and Phospahtes. As for Calicium... your on your own. lol, but then again it depends on what colors your can't see.

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Hanna Alkalinity checkers and Phospahtes. As for Calicium... your on your own. lol, but then again it depends on what colors your can't see.
I am looking into the checkers but I gotta save the money as for calcium I use an ati and it works fine for me I can tell when the color changes....even though I cant tell what color it is lol

Stussi613

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm red-green color blind and I use the Red Sea Pro test kit with Ca, Mg and Alk tests. Very easy to perform and read. You put the sample in, mix the reagents and then follow the titration instructions. I use Salifert for Nitrates and I have to get my wife to read the results on that one.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from a little birdie that only men can be color blind, any truth to this? Any female color blind reefers out there?

It's usually passed on from the grandfather (who's affected by it) onto the mother (who generally isn't affected) then onto the son (who is affected). It can affect women but it's quite rare. So if I, being a colour blind male, have a daughter, chances are she will carry the gene but it won't affect her. She would most likely pass it onto her son who will be affected.
I can't see tell the difference between most colours with a red pigment and the equivalent non red pigmented colour. I hope that makes sense lol.
I can't read a test kit and seem to like corals most don't bother mentioning. Often people will be like "check out the colours on this acro!" And I'll think "so what, it's just blue with a slightly paler blue growth tips and it looks like every other acro I've ever seen". Then I'll see others and be blown away by the colours and no one else seems to notice that particular piece among the rest.

leadsinker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm red-green color blind and I use the Red Sea Pro test kit with Ca, Mg and Alk tests. Very easy to perform and read. You put the sample in, mix the reagents and then follow the titration instructions. I use Salifert for Nitrates and I have to get my wife to read the results on that one.

Same here red/green color blind. Pretty much have given up on testing. I purchased Red Sea Pro test kit and still have not open it, i will now knowing this info.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red green here too. Surprising it's not that uncommon. I've heard 1 in 23 men have it. When I was a kid I thought street lights were red yellow and blue.
+1 on the hanna checkers for alk and phos. I could not see salifert colors. I'm able to see the difference with Red Sea calcium and mag. One problem I've had which is not unique to reefing is manufacturers like to use red and green LED light to signify different things like the AI vega does. Green means ready, red means it's not. I have at best a 50/50 shot at that one. Given how common red/green colorblindness is you'd think this would considered.

Steveowhits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am slowly trying to get my girlfriend into reefing I already have gotten her into planted tanks so hopefully she will catch the bug.
You should buy a frag with your lady. My girlfriend felt more involved once I shared ownership of one frag. I hate trumpet corals but I own one because my girlfriend picked it out:
image.jpg
.... Since I bought the frag for her she almost never objects to holding buckets or feeding fish.

atlorange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am colorblind. Deficient in all cones, but more red/green spectrum. Test kits are a big pain. I rarely test, except at the beginning of a build. I just observe coral health. If everything looks good I don't test, if something seems out of whack and I am forced to test I ask my wife for help matching the colors. She also helps me a lot in coral color before I buy something. I am usually way off on what the colors of a particular coral look like to me (especially Zoas). I can see standard 8ct crayola colors okay, but let's face it corals rarely come in those hues/shades.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red-Green colorblind as well. But I have no problem seeing the color change with the Red Sea kits. However, my wife still insists on dressing me.

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently building a 75 and I am trying to get her involved and I think she is starting to get into it. She hates it that I cant get a "dori" because my tank is too small. At least I will start keeping the "stick thingies" in this one lol
You should buy a frag with your lady. My girlfriend felt more involved once I shared ownership of one frag. I hate trumpet corals but I own one because my girlfriend picked it out: image.jpg .... Since I bought the frag for her she almost never objects to holding buckets or feeding fish.

Back