Calcium test kit advice

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying the Red Sea calcium test kit. I have difficulty seeing the color changes and can’t accurately tell what my calcium is. Does anyone have a recommendation on a calcium test kit that would work in my color blind situation? I wanted to buy the Hanna calcium tester but I read that it’s terrible.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used API (Yes, that Brand) and it turns from pink to blue (or visa verse!)

If you can detect the shade difference it’s inexpensive and OK for relatively stable conditions, +\- 20ppm if I remember correctly.

If you can’t see the shade change then the Hanna was made for you. I use their meters because my eyes are weak and I hate counting drops.

OP
OP
L

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. Ive read way too many people speak about how bad the Hanna checker is. I don’t need an expensive trident for my situation. i Wish Neptune/trident would make a calcium checker for smaller applications.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert for my testing kits. The calcium test is a drop by drop application. The reaction is immediate. It changes from one color to the next.. period, then you measure the reagent left in the syringe to the chart provided and there you go.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. Ive read way too many people speak about how bad the Hanna checker is. I don’t need an expensive trident for my situation. i Wish Neptune/trident would make a calcium checker for smaller applications.
I have had the Hanna Calcium checker for 5 years and for me it is spot on compared to ICP every test.

The problem is It requires precision when used and you must use pure RODI or distilled water.
I replaced the supplied pipette with a lab precision device.

I don't understand why some folks have problems with it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hanna calcium checker as well, I'm confident with the test results I get. Just so many steps though, it takes so long to do the test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can Hanna be so bad at calcium test?

It’s a bad design, IMO. It is freakishly sensitive to small amounts of calcium in the blank.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can Hanna be so bad at calcium test?
I'm in the same boat as you -- color blind so like Hanna for some of their checkers but have read too many "concerns" with the calcium checker.

Doesn't help you but I use Salifert for Ca and just have to employ a helper for the colors.

P.S. I like the AutoAQUA Smart Stir magnetic stirrer for this as it makes things easier (for me and my assistant) -- old Red Sea glass vial happened to fit perfectly so I use that

OP
OP
L

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never tried using it so I can’t say from experience it is bad. I’m going off the many bad reviews it has.
So, if I decide to purchase the Hanna, what are the important points to get accurate reading? Purchase their DI water and get a professional dosing pipette?

At this point, I don’t care if testing take a long time. I need to be able to test my calcium.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never tried using it so I can’t say from experience it is bad. I’m going off the many bad reviews it has.
So, if I decide to purchase the Hanna, what are the important points to get accurate reading? Purchase their DI water and get a professional dosing pipette?

At this point, I don’t care if testing take a long time. I need to be able to test my calcium.
The kit is a bit fussy.

You start with 1ml of reagent A and then add 9ml of RODI water to make a 10ml blank which is used to zero the checker.

You then add 0.1ml of tank water and a sachet of Reagent B then shake, let settle and read the result.

The critical parts are the volume measurements (1ml 9ml and 0.1ml) and that the DI water must be 0 tds as any residual calcium and possible other minerals in the water will affect the measurement.

If you get these correct the Hanna checker is fine.

The trick is using accurate tools , clean water, and a strictly implemented test procedure

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of Hanna but NOT their calcium. I believe there are at least two possible causes of discrepancy. First there is a liquid reagent which may not age well after opened. Secondly the sample size is a tiny. I believe the micro pipet may only be 0.1ml. Although I hate tests with color charts the Red Sea uses a titration for it's calcium and magnesium. There is a VERY brief intermediate violet color but otherwise there are clear red to blue color changes.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying the Red Sea calcium test kit. I have difficulty seeing the color changes and can’t accurately tell what my calcium is. Does anyone have a recommendation on a calcium test kit that would work in my color blind situation? I wanted to buy the Hanna calcium tester but I read that it’s terrible.
Try the Salifert test. It’s also a titration test but the color change is obviousl The nice part is that you know your done when the color doesn’t change anymore — not when it just starts to change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back