Perspective on substrate??

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I'm in the middle of an overhaul and am currently troubled by the many different sand substrates, I'm looking for one that won't blow away or create crazy sandstorms. Is oolite small grain? Is this a good product
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409630530.819101.jpg
. Any advice would be great can't wait to ditch the crushed coral that's been In my tank for years

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it! In my 40G with my MP10 maxed it does not create sand storms. I hope that helps

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oolite is the smallest grain size you can get, yes that is a good brand but if you look they should have different grain sizes, its good to go somewhere in between, some people even mix a small size like oolite with a slightly bigger grain size to help "weigh it down"..

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer aragonite dry to start with. Rinse it through a few times and only put about 3/4" in my system, I was bare bottom for a while which I liked for ease of cleaning but sand just looks better and allows you to get cool critters.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer aragonite dry to start with. Rinse it through a few times and only put about 3/4" in my system, I was bare bottom for a while which I liked for ease of cleaning but sand just looks better and allows you to get cool critters.
+1 on the arag, thats all i used its a pretty good mix of stuff, and once i threw my blue legged hermits in there they started excavating all these little shells i never knew were in there lol, looking to upgrade homes

chefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my new tank is a barebottom, and less than 1 month into it I have pink corraline already growing on the bottom. lots of little pink spots all over and i think its looking great :xd:

Redseadragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to just do a very light substrate like 1/4 inch that way it is easy to keep clean and doesn't trap anything.

Back