Easiest way to remove 'green algae coated' substrate

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I can't take it any longer the sight of having spots of green algae on the substrate. I am thinking to remove the substrate that are most impacted...what is the best way to do this? I tried a gravel cleaner, and it wasn't really sucking up the gravel and down into the tube...perhaps, I'm using an incorrect one, so open to suggestions.

Can I replace the removed substrate with a little at a time some new substrate of the same kind without creating any issues of imbalance, etc?

Thanks

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help to share parameter readings, tank setup & pictures. There are a variety of algae so it makes it difficult to give suggestions without a visual or ID on the algae. Plus your problem can come from a parameter reading that’s off, which the algae will continue to dominate until the parameter is corrected. Usually nuisance algae appears from either lack of or excess of a certain reading. Best suggestion is to test & share your parameters along with setup like light schedule, tank inhabitants, feeding practices, when the tank was setup, every bit of information will help members give the best advice.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help to share parameter readings, tank setup & pictures. There are a variety of algae so it makes it difficult to give suggestions without a visual or ID on the algae. Plus your problem can come from a parameter reading that’s off, which the algae will continue to dominate until the parameter is corrected. Usually nuisance algae appears from either lack of or excess of a certain reading. Best suggestion is to test & share your parameters along with setup like light schedule, tank inhabitants, feeding practices, when the tank was setup, every bit of information will help members give the best advice.
This. There's usually a reason and a cure. Sometimes time is the right answer even. Replacement will result in the same repeating.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I can't take it any longer the sight of having spots of green algae on the substrate. I am thinking to remove the substrate that are most impacted...what is the best way to do this? I tried a gravel cleaner, and it wasn't really sucking up the gravel and down into the tube...perhaps, I'm using an incorrect one, so open to suggestions.

Can I replace the removed substrate with a little at a time some new substrate of the same kind without creating any issues of imbalance, etc?

Thanks
How old is the system?

Would you share a photograph under white light of the problem area?

An aquarist at their wits end perform a rip clean or tear down the system.

Removing the sand that is “infected” will likely fail, maybe 10% chance of success.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the system?

Removing the sand that is “infected” will likely fail, maybe 10% chance of success.
11 month system, I believe that the green algae was a result of the so called 'ugly phase' leftover.
How old is the system?

Here's a picture of what I"m up against - it's not getting worst, so that's a good thing - I believe this is the remains of the 'Ugly phase"

Attachments

• 20230816_132704_resized.jpg
    20230816_132704_resized.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 34

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 month system, I believe that the green algae was a result of the so called 'ugly phase' leftover.

Here's a picture of what I"m up against - it's not getting worst, so that's a good thing - I believe this is the remains of the 'Ugly phase"
This growth doesn’t seem so bad, though if white sand is important this will get on your nerves.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back