Moving a tank, keep same algae'd rock?

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm switching tanks and plan on using live sand (shallow sand bed this time) and mixing fresh water. I currently have a 46 bow and want to go with a 54 corner with sump. I may use my friends 29 gallon temp for my 2 clowns and goby with shrimp. I need to research sump and need to get that figured out unless I buy a used tank.

I have green hair and cyano on my live rocks, should I sell with tank or would I be safe giving a good scrubbing and reusing and maybe cooking a few? I would hate to infect a new tank!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the rock. Either scrub it off in a bucket of tank water so as not to kill off the bacteria, or if you don't care about killing the bacteria, I'd acid wash or bleach it, that would kill off anything growing on the rock, and you can start anew.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you would have to cycle all over again, it would kill all the beneficial bacteria. Or you use RO water right off the bat, watch the phosphate numbers and keep em low so it doesn't grow any.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd use the rock. Either scrub it off in a bucket of tank water so as not to kill off the bacteria, or if you don't care about killing the bacteria, I'd acid wash or bleach it, that would kill off anything growing on the rock, and you can start anew.

+1 this is what I'd do.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the same with my 300. Scrapping all rock due to aptasia and some nasty kind of green slime algae and going barebottom. If you want to reuse your rock, look at the muriatic acid way of of refurbishing it. You can use lanthunum to remove any phosphates locked up in the rock.

RBauer813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would use the same rock, scrubbing some of the unsightly algae off wouldnt be a bad idea. But youre not looking at the issue you have, green hair algae and cyano growing are not good signs. Now I understand keeping phosphates and nitrates at minimum levels without a sump and proper filtration are difficult. If I were you I would do the proper research necessary for your next tank, doing it right the first time beats the hell out of doing it right the 4th or 5th time. Look into getting a GFO reactor, plenty cheap and make keeping low phosphate levels easy.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the same rock, clean it up some but throw away the sand and start with new. I would also add some bacterial agent like Dr. Tims so it doesn't do a mini cycle on you.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How about just setting it outside for a few days to dry? This would kill off all the nuisance organisms on the exterior and perhaps leave some bacterial communities intact in the interior of the rock. Just a thought, haven't tried it. Put it in a tank with active pods and bristle worms and they would clean off all the death in a few days.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about just setting it outside for a few days to dry? This would kill off all the nuisance organisms on the exterior and perhaps leave some bacterial communities intact in the interior of the rock. Just a thought, haven't tried it. Put it in a tank with active pods and bristle worms and they would clean off all the death in a few days.
I just changed tanks a month ago and I would never use the same sand. I suppose if you dried it out in the sun and then rinsed it really well it might be okay. I personally wouldn't, I always use new sand. I have moved three times and upgraded my tank each time and I always use new sand. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to keep my rock but replace the sand. Which is the best sand and how many lbs? Better to get live if I keep my rock, maybe seed with a scoop of existing sand? I want to do a shallow sand bed, less than 2" in my 54 corner.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slammed01, that is what I would do and yes just seed it with your current sand. Try to scoop no more than an inch down. I wouldn't bother with live sand, I never do, it will seed itself in time. Two bags of 40# should be enough for less than 2" in a 54 corner. I used Caribsea Agronite sugar size, 40 pound bags, in mine, real white. Looks like tan sand in the bag but it is white in the tank.

RBauer813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck sir. Remember get down to the bottom of the reasons you have all that nuisance algae in the first place.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt bleach it. Like he said kills everything and if not properly rinsed (rocks have lots of poors ) may cause bad things in.the new tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back