Refugium Questions

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a pair of dragon pipefish, and absolutely love them. They are really interesting fish and bring another different dynamic to the tank which I enjoy.

I did my research on these and had originally thought dosing pods (from Algaebarn) monthly would suffice. Starting to wonder if that will work, and am calculating the continued cost of this being very high in comparison to the fuge. I dose phyto regularly and have a good pod population, but a pair might eat through what I have quickly.

I have the capability of a refugium in my sump (eshopps r100), and have been tossing around the idea of staring one. I understand the denitrification benefits but am more interested in the pod production. I've never really ran a fuge, and have always went with skimming and carbon through my reactor which has been successful for me. Any pros and cons to setting this up?

Just ordered this light:
Eshopps Curve Refugium LED Light: Aquarium Refugium Lighting

I do currently have my heater in this chamber (where the refugium would be) as well as my dosing lines drip into here. Does this pose any issues with chaeto? I also have a very small power head in there to mix up the dosing liquid when it enters the water.

I don't plan on running a DSB as I'm not really after the nutrient export but more of the pod population. I already have live rock in there which has been in the tank since day one. I vacuum out detritus during water changes too.

I guess my biggest concern is running the refugium with my carbon and stripping the tank of too many nutrients. My system is a mixed reef, but mainly SPS dominant so stability is my goal. Should this be taken offline? If so, how long after the fuge is set up.

Also, like I mentioned above, would it be harmful to have my heater and dosing lines in the same chamber as my micro algae?

Thank you!!

OP
OP
clowninaround74

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where the fuge will be. You can see the dosing lines, small power head and the live rock. The titanium heater is in here as well

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413847016.488904.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413847037.060328.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413847160.318076.jpg

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you should be fine adding cheato. you may be able to remove your carbon and your tank stay where you want it that way. With the power head in there I don't think the dosing would really do much to the cheato.

OP
OP
clowninaround74

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you should be fine adding cheato. you may be able to remove your carbon and your tank stay where you want it that way. With the power head in there I don't think the dosing would really do much to the cheato.

Awesome, thank you. Any issues having the heater in that chamber?

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you position your power head just right it will keep the cheato in a corner slowly rolling which is best. Keep your heater on the other side than. Idk. I would do it. Otherwise I keep my heater in my skimmer section.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back