Hitchhiker snail

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all quick question:
We got a bubble tip and this little dude was hanging out in the bag it was in from our LFS. I was wondering if anyone knew the kind of snail it is. I want to make sure it gets proper care incase it needs anything special.

20240426_150105.jpg
20240426_150059.jpg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You might want to look up sundial snail. Not sure by the picture but they have a white and brown shell and they are not a good hitchhiker.

OP
OP
K

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated photos after i removed it.
It has a cone shape shell that has a white and black pattern all the way up to the top. The body seems to be like spotted white and black, the pattern reminds me of my nassarius snail but black instead of greyish blue. I've separated it from the tank and will be quarantined until we figure out the type of snail it is.
Thanks again for the help!!!
20240426_195850.jpg
20240426_195923.jpg
20240426_195902.jpg
20240426_195938.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely not a Sundial Snail - I'm fairly confident it's from the superfamily Trochoidea; I'm still learning to ID down from there, as it requires being a lot more technical about it, unfortunately.

Is there any chance you could get clear, close-up pics of the shell from the top, sides, and bottom under moderately bright, white light preferably against a black background?

If not, odds are incredibly high that it's harmless/beneficial, but there are a few known coral-eaters in the superfamily. To find out if yours is harmful, you can offer it some algae (a variety of different algae would be good if possible) and see if it goes for it; if not, try offering it some food like a sinking pellet or something; if it doesn't take either of those, then I wouldn't add it back to the main tank.

OP
OP
K

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely not a Sundial Snail - I'm fairly confident it's from the superfamily Trochoidea; I'm still learning to ID down from there, as it requires being a lot more technical about it, unfortunately.

Is there any chance you could get clear, close-up pics of the shell from the top, sides, and bottom under moderately bright, white light preferably against a black background?

If not, odds are incredibly high that it's harmless/beneficial, but there are a few known coral-eaters in the superfamily. To find out if yours is harmful, you can offer it some algae (a variety of different algae would be good if possible) and see if it goes for it; if not, try offering it some food like a sinking pellet or something; if it doesn't take either of those, then I wouldn't add it back to the main tank.
I definitely will once my S.O gets home he has a better camera on his phone then I do hah. Thank you so much for the help and the suggestions I appreciate it!

OP
OP
K

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It moves so fast too! I was hoping it was a baby turbo honestly

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back