Help I need advice!!

Rob6311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i live in PA and now it is snowing ALOT and the power has now surged 3 times, what should I do if the power goes out??

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you have a PC battery backup (known as a UPS) or a generator? You can use those if the outage becomes a hazard. You can also use a car battery with an inverter as a source of emergency power.

OP
OP
R

Rob6311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a generator, BUT it's my dad's generator and I don't know if he'd let me hook up the tank to it for a long time

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch your temps, if you have a smallish tank wrap it in a few blankets to retain heat.

for flow I depends upon size of tank. An air pump w/stone could work. Other wise you need to move enough water to keep oxygenating the water,---watch the fish
and see if they are breathing hard or going towards top to grasp for air.

dont feed the tank.
don't worry about lights.

to run these you can use generator, inverter w/battery, or if you have 12v pumps run them directly from battery.

OP
OP
R

Rob6311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch your temps, if you have a smallish tank wrap it in a few blankets to retain heat.

for flow I depends upon size of tank. An air pump w/stone could work. Other wise you need to move enough water to keep oxygenating the water,---watch the fish
and see if they are breathing hard or going towards top to grasp for air.

dont feed the tank.
don't worry about lights.

to run these you can use generator, inverter w/battery, or if you have 12v pumps run them directly from battery.

I have a 37 gallon corner tank

OP
OP
R

Rob6311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id get an pump and 2 or 3 air stones. I be best if air pump is DC.

get a battery jumper/inverter pak to run it with.
600 Watt Jumpstart System PERPJUMPSTARTER W Emergency Power ...

Yeah there's a problem we got about 5 inches of snow in about 2 hours, so the roads are not very safe to drive on right now. So If the power goes out, I had the idea to rip apart a toy or two take the battery pack out of it and then hooking it up to a pump. Would that work??

OP
OP
R

Rob6311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the roads are bad I meant I can't go get a battery generator now in case the power goes out today

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes the simplest answer is the best

wrap tank in blankets

use a large cup to scoop up tank water and pour back in, creating as many bubbles as you can. this will oxygenate the water. do this every other hour or as needed if fish start to gasp for air.

OP
OP
R

Rob6311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes the simplest answer is the best

wrap tank in blankets

use a large cup to scoop up tank water and pour back in, creating as many bubbles as you can. this will oxygenate the water. do this every other hour or as needed if fish start to gasp for air.

What about for coral?

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temp is more critical for them.
there is nothing you're going to be able to piece together to give them the light and flow they're used to. It'll be as if they are in calm dark foggy day. they should recover just fine.

if the power outage lasts for more than a few hours you've got problems.. You'll need to put hot water into some bottles and float them. Keep doing that to maintain temp.

if the outage is going to last days, I suggest you get to the store and use one of the earlier methods. And you'll need to power some lights for the corals.
Or ask fellow reefer to coral sit them for you.

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you offer to pay your dad for gas to run the generator. It will be cheaper then starting over probably. If that isn't an option, go with other suggestions. Rap in Blanket, Agitate water, and hot water bottles. Hang in there and welcome to the fun of Pa.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back