Sand Removal Question

httorihanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

I am thinking about taking all the sand out of my 105 SPS tank. 48X24X22. It’s only been a few months since I got into SPS but the tanks has been up and running for years. I want to remove my sand bed, which is not deep. I’d say less than an inch in some places and max 2 in others. I just got a Gyre and it blows my sand all over the place. I need to turn it up too so that the other side of the tank gets more flow. (Running on 4 out of 11 currently) Id plan on siphoning out the sand during water changes.

My question is, should I be concerned with removing too much at one time since it’s not a DSB? Rock sits on egg crate so I can take out whatever without moving anything.

Last thing I want to do is kill all my new SPS colonies/frags but I need to crank up the flow a bit and since the gyre affect comes back across the sand bed its causing a storm in there.

Candyapplezoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just siphoning out what ya can during water changes but do it slowly that be your safe way of doing what your wanting to do

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace my sand bed in my sps tank about once a year or so. I usually siphon it out over a period of 2-3 weeks, the limiting factor for me is the make up water. You need a lot of water to siphon out a sand bed.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back