How to remove sand?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up and running for about 18 months now and I want to remove some sand. I find the sandbed too thick, I still want to keep a layer for my wrasses but it’s about 2” thick and it looks really gross where the sandbed meets the glass. There is all kinds of gunk built up in there.

I know I have to do it slowly but how slowly? And what should I use to take it out. I don’t want to risk any kind of cycle or algae to take off on new spots

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuum it out. Best way without kicking everything up into the water column. And it's the safest. Disturbing a deep sandbed can be disastrous.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is all kinds of gunk built up in there

that’s a key detail, you can kill your tank messing with sand in increments vs taking it out the right way. Here’s one example of fifty on file where messing with aged sand in any incremental method killed the setup

nearly everyone will still take the risk because they want to avoid the work involved in how to remove sand all at once, clean it externally, then put back whatever degree you want. So when you continue on with removing it partially despite what’s above you still have a 98% chance of success, but not 100%. If you want 100% success you’d do what the sand rinse thread shows for sixty pages of safe jobs.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that’s a key detail, you can kill your tank messing with sand in increments vs taking it out the right way. Here’s one example of fifty on file where messing with aged sand in any incremental method killed the setup
Why is incremental unsafe?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nearly everyone will still take the risk because they want to avoid the work involved in how to remove sand all at once, clean it externally, then put back whatever degree you want. So when you continue on with removing it partially despite what’s above you still have a 98% chance of success, but not 100%. If you want 100% success you’d do what the sand rinse thread shows for sixty pages of safe jobs.
This is why I’ve put it off for so long and also may never do it. I don’t want to risk loosing everything, it’s just not worth it in my opinion. I’m already having issues with my corals that I cannot figure out and this may make it even worse

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip cleans make it better. Post a pic of your setup

Read this, are tanks better or worse:

We can improve your tank without messing with the sand. But if you want to mess with it that's the known safe way- disassembly cleaning and reassembly

A reason rip cleaning helps reefs on file is because being waste free allows you to feed much better which in turn boosts coral growth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip cleans make it better. Post a pic of your setup

Read this: are tanks better or worse:

We can improve your tank without messing with the sand. But if you want to mess with it that's the known safe way- disassembly cleaning and reassembly
Yeah don’t think I want to do all that work to be honest lol. Sending in an icp test soon and hoping that gives me an answer as to why my corals keep dying

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is usually how it goes down agreed. an icp test can't help you in any way on sandbed actions though. for taking a guess at available nutrients in the water column, for charge, they're 100% great (see any of Randy's posts on icp test validity)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back