Sand Bed

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stable, successful (by my standards) tank for many years. I has a dsb which may or may not be relevant to that. Seems like all I read about DSB is anecdotal. So, I will add to it.

I had to excavate a small section of my sand bed for a plumbing issue. With in 12 hours, both my tangs and a coral beauty died. The rest of the fish are fine.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you smell a sulfur or rotten egg smell when you stirred your sand? Hydrogen Sulfide is a byproduct of live sand and should not be stirred up. You may have had a dip in pH when you did that. I'm speculating.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they spend time lying on the bottom breathing heavy before they died? Seen several posts before about those symptoms after messing with sandbed (and had it happen myself with a young sandbed).

I try not to mess with the sandbed with fish in the tank anymore…

OP
OP
D

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not smell anything. Tank was all clouded up so could not really see fish well. It was unavoidable that I had to dig in the sand bed. Should have done a water change at same time.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very very helpful information thank you for posting, we have reef tank surgery threads for moving reefs, upgrading, basic handling where we are very careful with sand, this loss related to sand is a real risk pattern. Your testimony will help others avoid loss

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also fascinating: ammonia isn't the killer, sandbeds don't store ammonia. There's unknown causatives associated with detritus waste that nobody has identified: nobody knows what the actual cause is, we just know it's associated with stored up organic waste

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not smell anything. Tank was all clouded up so could not really see fish well. It was unavoidable that I had to dig in the sand bed. Should have done a water change at same time.
Clouded up fish tanks with old sand beds don’t seem to be good for the fish. I lost a new stressed out damsel kicking up some sand rearranging rockwork

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote it's one of these causatives:

Bacterial states of decay/ poisonous compounds liberated into the water formerly stratified when the bed was hands off

Or latent disease somehow held in the sand

Gasses? Not sure hydrogen sulfide is as common as we'd guess but maybe so

One thing is for sure, sandbed waste is powerful substrate for excess bacteria.

OP
OP
D

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting. 14 years old. When I started there was a lot of back and forth about having a DSB In which people would melt down arguing about. Hesitant to even post about DSB. Such a geek hobby, is their record of parallel systems, one with a DSB and one with out in otherwise same conditions? My leopard wrasse is pro DSB!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

check that out. 54 pages of science designed to protect reef tanks from being killed by their sandbeds. it truly is a hot button topic

ironically you'll see: rinsing out people's sandbeds in TAP water is what gives us 54 pages with no deaths/irony

the waste in the bed is so dangerous for some folks (not all, but some obviously) we designed a surgical means of taking apart reef tanks to clean the bed all at once, with no animals in tow. cleaning beds with animals in tow presents a huge risk to the masses. the old information about deep sandbeds isn't correct, or we wouldn't need that huge procedural thread to handle 'reduced minerals' (the claimed final state of sandbed waste from old 90's info)

your issue of fish death by disturbing the bed isn't the majority, it's the minority outcome. most just get cyano and GHA headaches from disturbing bed waste. but, we want a perfect outcome thread...no losses, me not apologizing to anyone for having killed their reef/fish, and the only way to get that among 300+ logged jobs is surgical disassembly rip cleaning. there's no other safe way.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post a pic of your setup so we can see the bed cross section/other details in the pics

OP
OP
D

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to forum. Will try and post better pic tonight.

Attachments

• A2FF1BA9-DA2D-4354-B2B7-B3B68BF481DA.jpeg
    A2FF1BA9-DA2D-4354-B2B7-B3B68BF481DA.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
D

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed goes from 0 to 7 inches depending on water flow. Spot I had to dig out was, of course, the deepest.

Attachments

• AB5FEA2F-52B0-4F45-B46C-00A0C9FF616B.jpeg
    AB5FEA2F-52B0-4F45-B46C-00A0C9FF616B.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 91
  • B600121C-CC05-4985-9AAD-C3B9CA090938.jpeg
    B600121C-CC05-4985-9AAD-C3B9CA090938.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
D

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Section in fuge is almost 12. I think I hear it ticking.

Attachments

• DC6D1AAD-5445-4966-8227-37D0548F5D90.jpeg
    DC6D1AAD-5445-4966-8227-37D0548F5D90.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 97

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful aged documented system. We're all aiming for that diversity shown. That degree of microorganism inclusion feeds your corals, the sand is a huge repository for those animals, a place where food rains down daily and protection from predating fish happens

Pods will live in sand + system that well aged. It's a true ecosystem just in the sand, these are the positives that jump out from the pic

Left undisturbed that bed may go 25 years, if anyone remembers a poster named AZDesertRat he was a very technical poster always writing about his untouched deep bed which also had pockets of deep pigmentation and animal tracks in the bed.

I can't even say loss of a few fish is worth deconstructing the bed back to clean...hope that shows my intent isn't to rinse every bed on the board back to square one. If you don't plan on accessing it too often/ no harm in continuing the plan. If you feel it's a liability and want a new bed I would like to have the remote job it'll be a massive multi day cleaning effort ordered in a certain way to keep all the rocks and corals and fish alive. If you have to move or upgrade the system we'd like to plan the job in our big rinse thread. But if you don't have immediate access needs there's a strong strong case for just leaving it be. Didn't seem to be harming the tank as it ran hands off, those were the details that stood out in your pic.

There's already been an access test not exactly passed so when it's time for access theres no other method I could recommend to keep the tank alive, rip cleaning is safe but also a giant multi day cleaning hassle in a tank that big :). The structured way we access and clean sandbeds is the safest way to address that issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back