Finally caught amphipods eating my zoos at night (Video)

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this observation is open to a debate, i would love to know what you guys think. Here are the parameters because i know everyone will ask Ca 400 alk 9 mag 1350 , phos .01 ph 8-8.2 night-day nitrate .5 . NO other pests , that has been found in this long lasting zoa loss. I strongly suspect the culprit to be these abnormally big amphipods.
For some reason lately I've had an explosion of amphipods and I gave no attention to it , but they were not the ones I'm use to encountering these are about twice as big as the ones I've seen before(for about 2 years of having a tank) and the once I have now have a mantis shrimp like claws you can see in the video. Consequently I saw a severe decrease in the smaller type of amphipods as well as the health of my zoos . and the new kind of amphipods is much darker.this could be just my assumption but it might be from the zooms they consume . Perhaps even these amphipods are physically identical to the other ones, may be these are males. (Not the point ) after doing some research I found some people claimed that their amphipods ate their zoos and one person said that if you keep your zoos off the rock and on the frag-rack you should be absolutely fine because they are too afraid of leaving the rock . I again put no notice to it. So I've been finally playing with an idea that amphipods can be eating my zoos because I could find no ther reason like alk swings , nitrate phosphates etc. and most of all I keep a few Zoa frags on the frag rack and those multiply and grow great. As soon as I move them to the rock they shrink in 3 days and it turns into a battle for survival another Zoa colony that prospers are my blond blue eyed Bit . And the reason they do is that they are righ in the middle of the clownfish nest which they clean religiously and I never saw a single pod next to them. Rest pod the zoos are dying. Now I've had seen people scream and argue how pods can't eat zoos and that they have amphipods and those don't touch zoos (and that's a flawed thought pattern in itself but again that's not the point) but again there are different species of amphipods some are deti ores some live inside the fishes mouth, and some are about 10" long . Since I have not found any good videos on amphipods actually eating the zoos after many nights of watching them do it I decided to take a video of them feeding. And no there is no algae or detritus on those zoos . I am not going to make any definitive statements, but to help out fellow reefers and leave it open to the interpretation. Tell me your comments or thoughts and yeah these guys are about half an inch my snails are about 1.5" .

http://youtu.be/_98YjzXoCVI

Last edited:

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a huge amphipod, as I have just read there are a lot of different types. I suppose you may have some type that is potentially problematic. Have you tried to capture one, so we can get a better look at it?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the zoas being eaten in that video. I see a gammarid having some lunch, but I don't see that lunch being the zoas. The ones in his immediate area in the video, are not being ripped, there are no marks left on the polyps, so I'm not sure what damage we are supposed to be looking at, that they are causing.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the zoas being eaten in that video. I see a gammarid having some lunch, but I don't see that lunch being the zoas. The ones in his immediate area in the video, are not being ripped, there are no marks left on the polyps, so I'm not sure what damage we are supposed to be looking at, that they are causing.

This was my assumption, they are finding food in between your polyps there.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is hard to tell from this particular video , I will try to get a better one , I have witnessed them yesterday actually eating the polyp , I will try to make another video if I catch them in act again. With a better view of actually devouring the skirt. Also it's better to watch that video on a bigger creen than a phone. It would give you a bit of a different impression.

Also does anyone know of a good way of getting rid of them ?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419289475.271382.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419289475.271382.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 393

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats fascinating, 5x normal size. ive never seen one that big in my pico tanks, but have seen them referenced online. same gammarid as the countless 10xxxxx seen, just 5-10x bigger.

id build a plastic coke bottle trap and get em.

karels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having the same exact problem in my tank with same size pods. What is the coke bottle trap brandon . best solution I have come up with is leaving my light on in the room and then I only see a few of these Lil pest

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally seen big pods eating zoas. I turned lights on late one night and a pod was eating into a zoa. Left a trench maybe 2 mm long

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also didnt see them eating the polyps in this vid. I am not saying they will not eat them though since so many people have claimed it. I never noticed any of my pods eating corals either. Do you only see them at night or do them move around during the day too? My dottyback keeps the pod population way down in my tank, he loves them. Havent had any other fish so I do not know if all fish love them or not.

If you are able to capture a vid of them eating the polyps please post it. Good luck with the zoas

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back