Thanks for sharing.
+1 maxxin69!!!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a good idea. They could well come up with varieties that would be far more resistant to coral bleaching during heat events. However, the oceans will get more acidic and any organisms that use calcium carbonate for hard structures like stony corals and molluscs are going to have problems.

renoeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, why would anyone oppose this?

If fixing climate change (which is too far gone to fix, according to many), then this appears to be the next-best-thing.

I am all for it, and who knows, maybe in the process they'll find a way to customize the pigmentation of corals! :smile:

CausticGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, why would anyone oppose this?

If fixing climate change (which is too far gone to fix, according to many), then this appears to be the next-best-thing.

I am all for it, and who knows, maybe in the process they'll find a way to customize the pigmentation of corals! :smile:

Sounds like the argument scientists used in the '80-90s for modifying crops... In 20 years all our coral and fish will have ADD and cancer.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't really talking about what most people think GMO is. It sounds like what they are looking at is selective breeding like dog breeds or pre-1980 crops. It's really all playing with genetics, but not directly. Like taking 1000 coral of the same species and seeing which individuals can survive in higher acidity water and then growing them and trying to get them to spawn in that water and selecting for their offspring that survive the same harsh water conditions and keep that cycle going.

I am not making a case for it, just pointing out that the title is a bit misleading.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back