Thinking of upgrading. Opinions and suggestions needed & wanted!

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys and gals, I had freshwater tanks my whole life and started my 29gL SW tank 3 months ago. IMMEDIETLY I knew I was a few gallons light! LOL I'm am a huge SW geek now! Everyone say "oh its so much work" and I say "I LOVE all the work!"
I love testing and when something takes over my tank and I fix it! Its such a rewarding feeling. My Hubby was NOT on board originally but I have claimed 100% responsibility of all maintenance and financial issues that come up and I have created a wonderful echo system that
(he wont admit) but I know he enjoys it! He always gloats to everyone that I did everything! He is proud of it I know!
So all that being said, I have an area that we had always wanted to open up between 2 rooms..He told me next year he would open the wall and help me set up a 90 (or there about) gallon tank.. Nothing will be happening till next year if we go that route..

So here is what I'm trying to decide. An area in my living room that does not need construction I can probably upgrade to 75g right now and transfer everything over and gradually add water via my weekly water changes and removing a little rock at a time and within a few weeks o a month have a 75 up and running (Hopefully) with all the same water, (I would do weekly 10 to 15gal water changes) rock and livestock and a lot more space for other additions, Unless someone thinks I should not upgrade in that manner..
Please tell me and explain why and what I should do..

And the most important question...Since My area is too small for a 90 is there a tremendous difference in the stability, the transfer and the livestock I can put in a 75 vs a 90? (I know I will need more live rock)

So to sum all this up:
Is bigger 90 to 100 g THAT much better? or tons more work? Will it be worth waiting for the bigger option?
Will a 75 be big enough to get more fish and expand my reef enough in comparison to my 29L?
Is transferring everything a little at a time ok do?
And this is a dumb question but the tank will NOT cycle correct? I may have a new skimmer, PH,Filter but that would all be running during he weeks of transferring with my original water..

THANK YOU ALL For reading and I look forward to your opinions and suggestions,

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused as to why the same area would be too small for 90 , but a 75 is good? A standard 90 is just a little taller then a 75. A 75 is a nice upgrade to a 29, but trust me, as a person who is now on his 6th upgrade, the bigger the better. As far as a cycle, it probably wont, but there' a chance it would.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused as to why the same area would be too small for 90 , but a 75 is good? A standard 90 is just a little taller then a 75. A 75 is a nice upgrade to a 29, but trust me, as a person who is now on his 6th upgrade, the bigger the better. As far as a cycle, it probably wont, but there' a chance it would.

Sorry for the confusion..The 75 would barley fit where the 29 is now against a wall in my living room..I can cheat a it and move it to make it work but any bigger it will NOT fit! The 90 to 100 would go into a window which we will be making by cutting a hole in the wall and putting a counter so I can basically make it big enough to accommodate a 90 but a 90 on a stand will not fit there and I only want it in that area for viewing purpose.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is a height issue? Im just trying to give advice on other options.

Well, mostly width issue. It will interfere with the entrance to my living room if it is any larger than 48" but I didn't really want to go to high so I can reach the bottom without standing on anything because I'm always doing something in the tank..

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the same scenario JVH. I love my 29g but there's always in my mind that I like the dimension of 75g but I am max out to 42" width. I can consider 40B or 50g too
tank sizes.jpg

Last edited:

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as livestock is concerned, you can't really put the big fish in a 4 foot tank so a 90 will only accommodate more smaller type of fish like wrasse, dwarf angels and such...I would do a 75G or maybe try and find a 50 cube or something that is not 48' in length

I had a 75 and loved the depth/length of it

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the same scenario JVH. I love my 29g but there's always in my mind that I like the dimension of 75g but I am max out to 42" width. I can consider 40B or 50g too tank sizes.jpg

Thanks so much or this chart!

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as livestock is concerned, you can't really put the big fish in a 4 foot tank so a 90 will only accommodate more smaller type of fish like wrasse, dwarf angels and such...I would do a 75G or maybe try and find a 50 cube or something that is not 48' in length

I had a 75 and loved the depth/length of it

Im cool with more smallish fish.. I would love a tang but not sure if a 75 would be acceptable

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think I should wait and do the 90? Im thinking I can have fun adding on the75

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean upgrading to a 75 now and then to a 90 in a years time?
In this case I'd recommend you skip the hassle of upgrading as by the time you get the tank running and it starts maturing it'll be another upgrade.
A 75 or 90 would definitely be easier than a 29 due to more water volume and stability. it will be a bit more expensive to run than a 29 but not that major difference. will be a bit more expensive to fill up and to equip as it'll require more lights, flow and filtration...
As for the difference between 75 and 90 its a very minimal difference, eventually you get visually used to what you have and it looks small very soon.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case I'd recommend you skip the hassle of upgrading as by the time you get the tank running and it starts maturing it'll be another upgrade.
A 75 or 90 would definitely be easier than a 29 due to more water volume and stability. it will be a bit more expensive to run than a 29 but not that major difference. will be a bit more expensive to fill up and to equip as it'll require more lights, flow and filtration...
As for the difference between 75 and 90 its a very minimal difference, eventually you get visually used to what you have and it looks small very soon.

+1. A 75 would be good, but the bigger the tank, the more flexibility.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the confusion again! I felt the more information I put the better but I guess it was too much information and the details kind of got lost!
I have a 29 long set up right now that stock to capacity with fish & coral and I'm loving it! Want to upgrade to 75 which can be done immediately, or if I wait a year when we're doing some construction there's an area that will be a little bigger where I can probably fit a 90. Not sure if I want to go quite as big and not sure if I want to wait as long.. Wondering how much of an enjoyment factor there is between the 75 to 90.. would I be happy with the 75? Probably not! LOL

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the same scenario JVH. I love my 29g but there's always in my mind that I like the dimension of 75g but I am max out to 42" width. I can consider 40B or 50g too tank sizes.jpg

How long have you had your 29 up for? And what do you have in it? Any pictures? I'd like to see it as in comparison to mine because I am start to capacity as well...
I saw a 40B in the store and didn't ask the measurements but it looked super long!
I guess I can consider other shapes and sizes..

Back