What types of butterflies will eat aiptasia (other than CBB)? Doesn't have to be reef safe

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. I want to aggressively remove all aiptasia from a 120g tank I have going (not my reef). I'm considering going with a butterfly that isn't reef safe. I've heard that raccoons are the best kind but aren't often used bc they will eat coral. That isn't a problem in this tank, so I'm looking into any options (even the kind that aren't reef safe). I'd prefer one of the heartier butterflies that are more likely to eat the aiptasia than a cbb (since those are hit and miss).

I've already tried:

CBB
Matted filefish
peppermint shrimp

...all with no luck...

I'd go with the raccoon, but the only ones that LA has available right now are $89.99!!

Other ideas on what fish will eat them?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearlscale butterflies have always eaten my mojanos... Not sure about aiptasia but I bet they would eat both.

Try another matted file

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearlscale will eat them but may take a couple weeks before they figure it out. But once they do they will wipe them out completely and quickly. They may nip at sps though

Ricks Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raccoon's are suppose to.So far mine hasn't touched any in my 180 gallon.Hes been in there for a month. My matted File Fish is picking at them though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still have the matted filefish in my 180...he's useless. LOL Maybe I'll move him to the crazy aiptasia infested tank. The plan is to make the 120 a nem tank, but right now...I got the wrong kinds of nems... :(

In looking at LA, these are the butterflies I'm thinking about:

Pearlscale
Saddleback
Lemon
Klein's
Mertensii
Pyramid

These 2 are also available, but seem to be a bit less suitable:

Vagabond
Spotband

Thoughts on any of these? How likely are they to eat aiptasia? How likely are they to eat BTA's?

If they eat BTA's that won't rule them out, but if I can avoid it, I'd rather not get a fish I'm going to have to rehome once his job is done.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pearlscale will eat them but may take a couple weeks before they figure it out. But once they do they will wipe them out completely and quickly. They may nip at sps though

SPS wouldn't be an issue since this is going to be a BTA tank. The main thing is getting the fish to eat the aiptasia.

My biggest hope would be to get one that would eat aiptasia and not my BTA's that I'll be adding. However, I can rehome the fish after he finishes the aiptasia off if necessary.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudibranches. That is what has worked for me.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berghia nudibranches. That is what has worked for me.

I'm afraid my infestation is too much to be feasible for nudibranchs...at least in any reasonable time frame. I'd need a LOT of nudibranchs to be succssful due to the size of the tank and the amount of aiptasia...or do you think I am underestimating the nudibranchs?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Copperband has kept my 140 gallon reef completely aiptasia free for about 7 years. I have the pests in my overflows and sump, but not a single one is visible in my display. Through the years, I have had three of them (in this tank and my old 75) and they have all eaten aiptasia.

Last edited:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few friends that have had pretty good success with the Klein's butterfly. I would recommend that one for sure.

EDIT: sorry, not the Klein's but the double saddleback

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you are underestimating the berghia nudibranches. I would get 6 for your tank and also a butterfly to supplement.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghhas will breed in the tank and build up a colony you'll start to see a drop in Aphasia numbers till there's non left. My copperband has cleared up my 400 from a heavy tubeworms infection and Aptasia. Raccoon would be my choice in a tank without corals.

Neptunes Cove

rare collector corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also 4-eye butterflies are good at aiptasia eating...
I wouldn't do Burghias- because after they eat all the aiptasia, they will die- not acceptable...
IMHO
-is there a reason that peppermint shrimp wont do for this??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Chelmon marginalis (like a copper band butterfly, but with 1 less band). Worked perfectly on a terrible infestation, and they are known to be easier to keep (as best I know). I've had it a few years now.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try another CBB. I've had 3 through the years; 2 of them were voracious aiptasia munchers. Some of them haven't figured it out yet.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DD has an extra large racoon for $79.99 I'm thinking a good strategy might be that guy and the berghias. Heck, I may even move my filefish over to see if he'll join the party. LOL

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD has an extra large racoon for $79.99 I'm thinking a good strategy might be that guy and the berghias. Heck, I may even move my filefish over to see if he'll join the party. LOL

Just do it! Lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD is the best! I've snagged so much off of there in the past month...

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money and buy peppermint shrimp

Well I don't know about fish. But the correct species of Peppermint shrimp will do the job and Is reef safe. plus at around $5 each, what do got to loose? I picked 3 up at a local LFS and in a short time my Aptasia where All gone. ( Be warned : Camel Shrimp look similar and are Not Reef safe)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back