Fuge Light Schedule

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite the DT lighting. Keeps the PH more stable.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't ever see a difference between counter DT but that's how I have mine set up.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Randy I've run mine several different ways over the years. I'm running 24/7 now and have noticed increased macroalgae growth.

OP
OP
Clayalaleona

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the guys running 24/7: in general plants need a time period where they stop production of atp(basically not going through photosynthesis), some plants do better with something like 2 hours of light on and then two off and so on. Has anyone tried this instead of 24/7?
Currently I'm running it almost 24/7(pretty much 16-18 hours a day) and I've noticed less algae in the display portion of the tank.
Also another question: Do you guys have "algae scrubbers?" I may try a DIY one in the future

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the guys running 24/7: in general plants need a time period where they stop production of atp(basically not going through photosynthesis), some plants do better with something like 2 hours of light on and then two off and so on. Has anyone tried this instead of 24/7?
Currently I'm running it almost 24/7(pretty much 16-18 hours a day) and I've noticed less algae in the display portion of the tank.
Also another question: Do you guys have "algae scrubbers?" I may try a DIY one in the future

I've heard and understand the argument, but allowing a rest period did not noticeably impact the growth in my system. That said, less lighting is less expensive so I stuck with less than 24/7. :)

I just grow my macroalgae in refugia, not in a scrubber.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great discussion! I run 24/7 in the refugium, it's effective, but I wouldn't know otherwise. I run miracle mud in the refugium, so I follow their recommendation of 24/7. I would be willing to test. I got constant algae growth of chaeto with 24/7. I don't know but I feel that it keeps my ph up at night .

OP
OP
Clayalaleona

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking because with some land species a rest period does directly impact its growth. I'd like you thank you guys a lot for the info, I think I'm just gonna go with 24/7 since electricity isnt something I pay.
On a fun side note: I'd like to have the tank 100% solar powered by the end of this year :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking because with some land species a rest period does directly impact its growth. I'd like you thank you guys a lot for the info, I think I'm just gonna go with 24/7 since electricity isnt something I pay.
On a fun:) side note: I'd like to have the tank 100% solar powered by the end of this year

Be glad you don't pay. Our home electric bill usually runs between $300 and $400 per month. :(

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen Randy! The electric company sends us comparisons to other homes in our neighborhood suggesting ways to cut our usage. We're never the worst, but always close! Maybe my new Kessils will help! We topped $400 a couple times this summer with the AC running!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased growth in the 'fuge, or the tank?

In the fuge. :)

I got a small clipping of Dragon's Breath recently and it's huge already. I've split it and have large clumps in 2 refugiums now. I use a simple 6500k spiral light and reflector from Lowes.

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run mine on opposite now. i did run it 24/7 but switched it up to try and see what it would do. i think the only way it would keep ph stable att night is if you had a big refugium with lots of diffrent macro algeas in it. i havent seen much of a ph diffrence but i have a smaller fuge so that might be why.

Florida reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard, not positive, that running 24/7 prevents the plants from sexing. Basically they will not cross pollinate, or whatever. I don't know about that. I run mine constantly, so they're constantly removing nitrates.

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have heard this about grape caulpra but i heard that when it goes sexual it releases the nitrates and things back into the water. so i have steered clear of it and only use cheato and i have been growing this kind of turtle grass stuff it grows like crazy
20140320_155714.jpg
[h=3]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kthiPiAx6CUPrbiCw&sig2=c_Tp3TGaVJ4u_HDvnA3aCg[/h]

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard, not positive, that running 24/7 prevents the plants from sexing. Basically they will not cross pollinate, or whatever. I don't know about that. I run mine constantly, so they're constantly removing nitrates.

I've heard something similar that algaes in darkness reverse CO2/O2 cycle and go into asexual reproduction causing green tinged water throughout system. I am willing to place a timer and reverse the cycle to lighting of my display, or, the 2 hr cycle mentioned above. I am currently running chaeto in a eggcrate sandwich.I created.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back