Calcium reactor raising alk only help

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently switched (3 months ago) to a cal reactor from 2 part. Still working on dialing in since then. Measurements before were alk 9 cal 450 mag 1450-1500. Now with cal reactor it is alk 13.4-14 cal 420, mag 1480. I have dialed back when the reactor turns on the c02, slowed effluent to a med drip. I had it at a fast drip raised alk way to fast. Slowed it to a slow drip dropped cal too fast and water was getting stale in the reactor. Just can't seem to dial it in right, any thoughts? My issue is why wont it raise the cal and alk at same levels? Seems like cal even if extra cal is added will always drop back to 420. Now alk will always raise up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalintiy is always the bell weather for over or under dosing with such a reactor.

It adds about 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm of calcium, so calcium will hardly move while alkalinity will boost a lot if you over dose. Fortunately, that's also the ratio that is consumed, so it works out well. :)

Consequently, always adjust the reactor based on alkalinity, and if calcium is too low, boost it manually with calcium chloride. :)

OP
OP
Eckolancer

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalintiy is always the bell weather for over or under dosing with such a reactor.

It adds about 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm of calcium, so calcium will hardly move while alkalinity will boost a lot if you over dose. Fortunately, that's also the ratio that is consumed, so it works out well. :)

Consequently, always adjust the reactor based on alkalinity, and if calcium is too low, boost it manually with calcium chloride. :)

That is kinda what I thought :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back