Using Float Switch for Kalkwasser dosing

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a float switch for kalkwasser dosing. It has been working very well for keeping my ph at about 8.2. It was running below 8 before using this setup. My Xenia are pumping like crazy now. Before there was virtually no movement before.

Here is my question:

I have some precipitation that deposits where the floater touches the water. From what I understand, this is harmless. One reefer told me that I should not be using a float switch at all for kalkwasser because the precipitation could cause the switch to "stick." To prevent this from happening, once per month I spray the valves with vinegar and let it soak for about 15 min and then rinse the entire valve. Is this sufficient to prevent them from "sticking" and causing my tank to crash?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of float switch?

The type I use does not stick on or off, but is a large float. I've used the same one for 19 years (bottom one):

LV1100_1200_l.jpg

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Avast switch with my K! Kalk reactor. It is a pressure switch and never actually come into contact with the water. A very easy, neat set-up and it plugs right into my Reefkeeper

OP
OP
CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sick of my float valve. It stuck on me just this week due to precipitation. Because the incoming drips right over the shut-off mechanism, I would bet that Eshopps would discourage this float valve's use for a kalkwasser drip. I plan to retire it from my sump to filling my buckets for water changes. It can help in keeping me from getting water on my kitchen floor again:xd:.

Randy, I would like to try that more sturdy industrial type. Do you have any idea where I can get one online? I may try bringing your picture to a local plumbing store.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, Thanks so very much for this information! When you get opportunity, could you post a picture of how yours is setup in you sump?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a picture, but my sump is 2 x 44 gallon brute cans plumbed together.

So to install the float switch, i just cut a hole in the can at the height I wanted the water controlled at and used a threaded bulkhead fitting to install it. Then the white part of the picture above just threads into it, wires on the outside and float in the inside (properly oriented). It came with good directions for wiring.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back