Adding vinegar to kalkwasser solution!

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always disturbed by the sediment in my kalk tank due to its poor solubility in water. I just stumbled across an article which suggests adding 15-30 mls of vinegar per liter when mixing to improve solubility and prevent precipitation in the display. I can't begin to understand the chemistry behind this but wondered if Randy Holmes-Farley could weigh in and if any fellow reefers have done this? If my evaporation is sufficient to allow plenty of standard kalkwasser solution is there any benefit to doing this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only recommend it if standard kalkwasser cannot quite keep up with demand. It's a pretty strong organic carbon dosing effect, and the sediment will still be there.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always disturbed by the sediment in my kalk tank due to its poor solubility in water. I just stumbled across an article which suggests adding 15-30 mls of vinegar per liter when mixing to improve solubility and prevent precipitation in the display. I can't begin to understand the chemistry behind this but wondered if Randy Holmes-Farley could weigh in and if any fellow reefers have done this? If my evaporation is sufficient to allow plenty of standard kalkwasser solution is there any benefit to doing this?
I replace all evap with calcium hydroxide with vinegar at 90mls per gallon.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace all evap with calcium hydroxide with vinegar at 90mls per gallon.
Is your evaporation rate consistent? Do you consider this carbon dosing as well? I'm currently running vinegar at 40mls per day but could decrease that by the amt in the kalk soln.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your evaporation rate consistent? Do you consider this carbon dosing as well? I'm currently running vinegar at 40mls per day but could decrease that by the amt in the kalk soln.
Evap varies a little, I just keep a constant sump level by adding (or not) RODI. Probably be simpler if I had an ATO to be honest but never bothered with one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back