Gfo questions ???

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I finally beat cyano now I'm getting hair algae I've been pretty aggressive I thought with the Gfo but I just can't seem to get the po4 low enough so I'm not fighting algae all the time with sps some do good , hold color decent color but growth not there IMO

I just bought 4lbs of Gfo from brs what would be a good way to bring po4 down in a 220 I do 40 gal wc a week run tlf mostly full with Gfo swapped every 2 weeks already

How much Gfo can I use safely on a 220 40 gal sump and 60 gal fuge

At this point I don't really care about the cost of Gfo ill swap my reactor every other day if that's the trick until I can get it under control I tried lanthanium chloride in past wasn't happy with it

Please lmk how guys with a tank full sps utilize Gfo when Gfo high

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main concern is dropping phosphate too fast and/or too much.

Use the BRS Reef Calculator to give you an idea of the dosage.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u running a skimmer, carbon source? Flow? Flow alone can get rid of algae in certain low flow areas. Cleanup crew?

I run my GFO for about a month or whenever my glass seems to have algae buildup after a day. I run two reactors, one for carbon and one for GFO. Carbon gets changed out bi weekly and GFO about once a month. As far as how much I use a lil more than what BRS recommends only cuz I feed heavy.

Never expect quick changes. It literally took me close to 2-3 months before all the algae was gone.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never expect quick changes. It literally took me close to 2-3 months before all the algae was gone.

I agree 100% with this statement, you can be aggressive with your Po4 level but there is the risk of shocking your corals that possibly have acclimated themselves to the high Po4 level. It is popular opinion that it's best to slowly lower the levels, kind of like re-acclimating them to a lower Po4.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I finally beat cyano now I'm getting hair algae I've been pretty aggressive I thought with the Gfo but I just can't seem to get the po4 low enough so I'm not fighting algae all the time with sps some do good , hold color decent color but growth not there IMO

I just bought 4lbs of Gfo from brs what would be a good way to bring po4 down in a 220 I do 40 gal wc a week run tlf mostly full with Gfo swapped every 2 weeks already

How much Gfo can I use safely on a 220 40 gal sump and 60 gal fuge

At this point I don't really care about the cost of Gfo ill swap my reactor every other day if that's the trick until I can get it under control I tried lanthanium chloride in past wasn't happy with it

Please lmk how guys with a tank full sps utilize Gfo when Gfo high

Are you measuring phosphate, or just observing the tank?

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I don't have a po4 test just observing algae on glass and hair in my low flow fuge getting crazy !!
I've been using Gfo pretty regularly for a whole my carbon I run in a bad and swap 1 time a month maybe I need to step that up but on 1-2 occasions I've bleached Montis out after swapping carbon out

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, IME use Rowaphos. It is much more effective than BRS, and I never got weird STN like I did from running BRS GFO. I tossed my BRS GFO in the garbage.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to test or you will not be able to pinpoint your Issues. You need to test for nitrates and phosphates. Most algae problems are caused by excess nutrients .Most of the time it is caused by over feeding of the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, IME use Rowaphos. It is much more effective than BRS, and I never got weird STN like I did from running BRS GFO. I tossed my BRS GFO in the garbage.

Most people find BRS GFO to work just fine. I use it.

I also toss mine in the garbage, but not until after I use it. :D

Maximo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets not forget about alkalinty dropping if you are using gfo. I find when i run gfo i have to step up my dosing to almost double the amount! It is not going to turn around over night, or over the course of 2 weeks really. Dont get discouraged if your still battling this in a month, just stay persistent.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets not forget about alkalinty dropping if you are using gfo. I find when i run gfo i have to step up my dosing to almost double the amount! It is not going to turn around over night, or over the course of 2 weeks really. Dont get discouraged if your still battling this in a month, just stay persistent.

FWIW, that is because of increased deposition of calcium carbonate, both by corals and abiotically on pumps, heaters, and especilly on the GFO and just downstream of it, presumably by soluble iron catalyzing the deposition. The GFO itself is not binding significant alkalinity. :)

Maximo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know that it doesn't directly bind alkalinity but it contributes to it being used up faster! Please correct me If I'm wrong.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back