Can you recharge GFO by running it through RO water?

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying out GFO for the first time, and everywhere I read says that it needs to be changed out quickly once it's used up because it will leech phosphate back into the tank once the tank levels are lower than the amount absorbed into the GFO.

Does this mean I can run it in a reactor in a bucket of RO water to leech all the captured phosphate back into the water and then reuse it in the tank? Just changing out the water every day until it stops leeching? Could I even use tap water if it has no phosphates?

Anyone ever tried this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would take a lot of water because phosphate will bind pretty strongly from Ro/DI water. I've not heard of anyone trying it. At low pH the process will go a lot faster, but it's a tricky balance because the GFO will also slowly dissolve.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ll give it a try for a few days and see how high phosphates get in the water
Have you seen this method? No idea if it was ever widely used in practice or how effective it was;

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back