Nitrate consumption - how fast does it happen?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates seems to drop at a decent rate, the last few months.
I'm running very little gfo to keep phosphates in check (0.06) but even with a few more fish, increased feedings, dosing a bit of KNO3 and running water pass my roller filter it stills drops.
As there any rule of thumb on how much nitrate is consumed in a reef tank?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates seems to drop at a decent rate, the last few months.
I'm running very little gfo to keep phosphates in check (0.06) but even with a few more fish, increased feedings, dosing a bit of KNO3 and running water pass my roller filter it stills drops.
As there any rule of thumb on how much nitrate is consumed in a reef tank?

Mainly depends on algae and corals. My coral heavy tank consumes ~2.5ppm per day.

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen rates as high as ~24 PPM equivalent per day if not more. I had a pump set to add 1 PPM nitrate per hour every day, and it would barely be detectable. So the actual max rate of consumption may have been higher if I dosed more.

This was when I had large chuck of cheato in the sump that would fully fill the fuge chamber (and it was so dense that it almost acted like a mesh filter).

I greatly reduced my cheato now since controlling trace elements like potassium and iron got annoying, and I would get coraline algae die offs due to it

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen rates as high as ~24 PPM equivalent per day if not more. I had a pump set to add 1 PPM nitrate per hour every day, and it would barely be detectable. So the actual max rate of consumption may have been higher if I dosed more.

This was when I had large chuck of cheato in the sump that would fully fill the fuge chamber (and it was so dense that it almost acted like a mesh filter).

I greatly reduced my cheato now since controlling trace elements like potassium and iron got annoying, and I would get coraline algae die offs due to it

Love it! Live dangerous. Just tested and this is actually high for me and I run 10-11 dKH.

IMG_3519.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly depends on algae and corals. My coral heavy tank consumes ~2.5ppm per day.
Except for coralline and the slowly forming dust on the glas, I have zero algea.

I think I might set nitrate on the doser.
Nice to hear a heavy stocked tank, can consume so much nitrate.

Gotta add some nitrate, then do a test and check how much the uptake really is in my tank, on a daily basis.

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for coralline and the slowly forming dust on the glas, I have zero algea.

I think I might set nitrate on the doser.
Nice to hear a heavy stocked tank, can consume so much nitrate.

Gotta add some nitrate, then do a test and check how much the uptake really is in my tank, on a daily basis.
Make sure you start slow and measure daily for some time. Most organisms can store nitrate, so the initial consumption can appear higher than it actually is, simply because it is being pulled into storage by cells. Once their storage is full, consumption will drop and you will be able to see actual rate of consumption.

In my opinion it is better to nitrate dosing level below your actual rate of consumption. Like if you measure the rate of consumption at 15 PPM, I would dose 10 PPM or less.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it is better to nitrate dosing level below your actual rate of consumption. Like if you measure the rate of consumption at 15 PPM, I would dose 10 PPM or less.

I try to dose ~5% over and then manually skip a day as needed. Adjustments up usually needed every 2-3 months. If I don’t stay on it or leave it off too long is when I start to see dinoflagellates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you start slow and measure daily for some time. Most organisms can store nitrate, so the initial consumption can appear higher than it actually is, simply because it is being pulled into storage by cells. Once their storage is full, consumption will drop and you will be able to see actual rate of consumption.

What is the evidence for N storage?

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the evidence for N storage?
Diatom abundance and total intracellular nitrate contents in water columns, sediments, microbial mats, and epilithic biofilms were highly significantly correlated. In contrast, diatom community composition had only a marginal influence on total intracellular nitrate contents. Nitrate concentrations inside diatom cells exceeded ambient nitrate concentrations ∼100–4000-fold. The collective intracellular nitrate pool of the diatom community accounted for <1% of total nitrate in pelagic habitats and 65–95% in benthic habitats.
We report here that Thioploca cells are able to concentrate nitrate to up to 500 mM in a liquid vacuole that occupies >80% of the cell volume.

These filamentous, sulfur-oxidizing bacteria accumulate nitrate intracellularly at concentrations of 130 to 160 mM, 3,000- to 4,000-fold higher than ambient levels.
And this a review covering multiple species and ecosystems.
Many benthic and pelagic diatoms accumulate nitrate intracellularly in concentrations up to a few 100 mM, but concentrations can be as low as zero to a few mM.
Foraminifers may store nitrate at concentrations >15,000 times the environmental nitrate concentrations , probably in vacuoles , and the measured intracellular nitrate pool varies among nitrate-storing foraminifers from ca. 0.1 mM to >375 mM.
Gromiids belong to the Rhizaria, and their intracellular nitrate concentrations can also reach >100 mM, which exceeds the ambient nitrate concentration by several orders of magnitude .
To date, only a single strain of A. terreus (fungi) isolated from a marine sediment has been shown to store nitrate intracellularly and use it for dissimilatory nitrate reduction mainly to ammonium. The intracellular nitrate concentration in this strain reached up to 0.4 mM.
The chlorophyte Dunaliella tertiolecta stored nitrate at 2.7–4.9 mM in one study , but had intracellular nitrate concentrations below the detection limit in another study . Similarly, the dinoflagellate Amphidinium carterae stored 0–1.8 mM nitrate , while the dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum did not store nitrate . Among the haptophytes, Isochrysis galbana stored 0.3–13.9 mM nitrate and Pavlova lutheri only stored 0.1–0.2 mM nitrate . Clearly, more investigations focusing on intracellular nitrate storage in these lineages are needed.

I am more familiar with nitrate storage in land plants, which can be a massive pool. Some plants can grow without any visible inhibition for months living of the vacuolar nitrate stores.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, one should not try to match a rate of consumption, but rather adjust dosing to maintain your target range whatever it may be.
Isn't that the same thing. Dosing to maintain a target, would be matching the uptake?

Anyway, I added nitrate earlier and tested a couple of hours later and got 5.5.
Will test same time the next few days to see if the uptake is more or less linear.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that the same thing. Dosing to maintain a target, would be matching the uptake?

Anyway, I added nitrate earlier and tested a couple of hours later and got 5.5.
Will test same time the next few days to see if the uptake is more or less linear.

Yes, but it does not require any correct information about the uptake rate before you start. Thus, any changes in demand caused by any changes in, say, available nitrate concentration, or the possibility of some organisms storing N become unimportant to know and/or understand in detail.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And this a review covering multiple species and ecosystems.

I am more familiar with nitrate storage in land plants, which can be a massive pool. Some plants can grow without any visible inhibition for months living of the vacuolar nitrate stores.

OK, thanks. I'm not sure how important this is in a reef tank, since I'm not sure how large of a user of nitrate those organisms typically are, but I see they can directly store N in various ways and I appreciate the references.

FWIW, I've not heard of anyone overshooting their nitrate target in a problematic way.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for an update, all though I'll keep testing a couple more days.

Sunday at 19.00: 5.5 ppm
Monday at 19.00: 4.5 ppm
Tuesday at 19.00: 3.5 ppm

so far it seems my nitrate is dropping exactly 1.0 ppm a day.

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you had your dousing pump did you add it straight , mixed with water, sump etc. just curious. I am fighting low nitrate right now and trying to balance my phosphate as well. I’m dosing 4ml of nyos nitrate plus a day. Mixed with rodi water in my dosing pump. …

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you had your dousing pump did you add it straight , mixed with water, sump etc. just curious. I am fighting low nitrate right now and trying to balance my phosphate as well. I’m dosing 4ml of nyos nitrate plus a day. Mixed with rodi water in my dosing pump. …
I added it straight to the sump after the refugium chamber. But my pump was on a timer, so I would divide my daily consumption to 24 and add that amount per hour. If you are only adding 4ml that should not really matter that much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back