Overdosed CA what should I do?

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ca has been dropping for a while out of balance with my alk for some reason using bionic. I have been trying to add a little extra calcium everyday by running my apex to manually dose an extra 20-30ml of ca. I normally dose about 26 ml of each part per day. Today I manually turned it on with my apex and forgot to turn it off for about 5 hours. This caused me to add about an extra 300 ml of ca.

I tested after I realized this and calcium has gone from 340 to 440. My alk dropped from its typical 8.0 to 7.7. Should I do anything or just watch the corals? I noticed a couple of my sps sliming a little which is what alerted me but I blew the slime off and everything looks fine currently.

OP
OP
chopper320

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah actually the levels are about where I was trying to get to. Maybe the alk could be a little higher. I just didn't plan on doing it that fast.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fine that level will not cause any Issues. Just be careful and monitor your parameters to maintain without drastic swings. Stability is what you are striving for.

OP
OP
chopper320

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I usually try to keep it stable but for some reason my ca is not staying balanced with alk while dosing 2 part. I've done this a few times now where the ca has slowly dropped to a point that I have to start adding extra ca to get it back up to my target level.

Its not my salt because I test my newly mixed water and it is always right at 400. Are there any other reasons for ca to drop disproportionately to alk?

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your mag? That falls in line with the other 2 I believe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way that calcium will fall with a steady alk is if you are adding alkalinity that you are not accounting for, such as in top off water or other additives.

What else are you dosing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chopper320

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other things I'm dosing are occasional magnesium because it seems to always be slowly dropping on me too so I add it to my water change water and then every few weeks I add it to the aquarium to adjust for any drops. I've kind of rotated between mg products. I was using seachem mag and now I'm using the esv liquid mag.

I also add Aquavitro fuel for amino acids because I i tend to run nutrient poor.

Other than that it's jusy rodi top-off, weekly 10% water change and frozen foods for fish.

ayhanyildiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it happened to me too .Once I forgot to switch to auto mode and I left to manual ON. When I woke up my tank was all in white. I didn't lose anything and in 4-5 days all whites disappeared. You should not worry. It does not have any negative effect.

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Ca level is fine. As matter of fact if you have corals 460-480 isn't bad if you are keeping LPS and SPS. Just watch alk. And I'd adjust accordingly to maintain CA levels ar around 450.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back