Micro Bubbles in Display

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing micro bubbles from the return?
310g tank, Vectra l2 pump running at 25%.
Gets worse with skimmer on, however currently no skimmer just running UV and GFO into the back chamber where they have 2 chambers to go through to get to return so it’s not from that.

Videos attached

Attachments

• IMG_4169.mov
    25.1 MB
  • IMG_4170.mov
    18.5 MB

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell from the videos, but your return nozzles look like they are right at the water line?

I ran into an issue where my returns were pulling air and shooting it into my display. I drilled holes for siphon break and those were creating little tornadoes. Pointing the returns further down stopped this for me

OP
OP
SCH14

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't really tell from the videos, but your return nozzles look like they are right at the water line?

I ran into an issue where my returns were pulling air and shooting it into my display. I drilled holes for siphon break and those were creating little tornadoes. Pointing the returns further down stopped this for me
I have tried everything with the return. Pointed them straight down, medium, high. Same bubbles

OP
OP
SCH14

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use any two-part epoxy recently?
Super micro bubble maker for 48hrs.
I have not. All rocks were custom made and glued with a powder cement and and thin liquid glue. I’ve noticed bubbles come from the rocks often but from the return a lot more

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. All rocks were custom made and glued with a powder cement and and thin liquid glue. I’ve noticed bubbles come from the rocks often but from the return a lot more
I can’t see any video.
Perhaps the rockwork is still curing?
How long running wet?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don’t see any micro bubbles in your water, I see a bubble here and there, is that what you mean?

Air bubbles in return are either created in the sump and getting to sump return pump, and coming out of return, or theirs a minute air leak in a fitting.

Too me, micro bubbles are tiny and tons of them.

Maybe I just can’t see them in the vid….?

Check that they are not escaping the skimmer.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is a better video

While its very minimal, the water level above your pumps are just above them. Raise water level by reducing the amount of water coming down to sump slightly. Other culprit is often the skimmer unit

OP
OP
SCH14

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While its very minimal, the water level above your pumps are just above them. Raise water level by reducing the amount of water coming down to sump slightly. Other culprit is often the skimmer unit
Skimmer isnt on. think the water should be more than 9-1/2 inches? The video isnt great put its microbubbles on each return. Im at a loss as ive had a few people look at the tank and we cant figure it out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Skimmer isnt on. think the water should be more than 9-1/2 inches? The video isnt great put its microbubbles on each return. Im at a loss as ive had a few people look at the tank and we cant figure it out
8-9" typical but I also assure there is at least 5: above my return pump to minimize any air getting sucked in

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back