Seahorses In Reef

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After MUCH research and soul searching I've decided to try moving my seahorses into my reef tank. Beyond the expected obstacles such as temp and the dangers of reef life my primary concern is my small S. Haddoni. I'm counting on, perhaps too much so, my alpha female clown hosting the carpet to scare off the seahorses before they get too close. This is a trial run... I do understand the inherent danger involved here. Ill update the thread as I give this a try...
uve4yred.jpg
ydarupyb.jpg

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day One: awoke this morning and rushed to see if they made it through day one. They did. They are still clinging to each other like two prehistoric caveman suddenly dropped into Times Square. Today ill have to piece together a new feeding station. Feeding will be perhaps the greatest challenge as they are such slow delicate feeders. One of the primary motivators in this move was, being such messy eaters, I liked the idea of a no-mess feeding operation. The reef will easily absorb the leftover mysis. Thus far I'm seeing no signs of predation of nor by the horses.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day Two Photos.... female (Clarice) has begun exploring. RAPID color changing!
I've set the aquarium temp at 77F.
ny3e8apy.jpg
gapady5a.jpg
aja5a7um.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say to anyone interested in trying this that as I go I'm testing the individuals, Clarice and Hannibal, for abilities, ex. To insure they are strong enough to prevent being sucked into a powerhead I placed them directly against the powerhead and made sure that they could swim away. Both individuals passed the powerhead test. Also this morning they have both proven ability to seek out the dead spots in the current where MYSIS, fed to rest of tank, has settled. I believe a feeding station might not be necessary. Time will tell.

umemyjyz.jpg
8e6ebehe.jpg
yjeje9up.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give a visual context here's a wide photo. They thus far have shown no interest in areas of the tank I've deemed as dangerous. You'll see Clarice hanging on the power cord in the top left. Hannibal you can barely see his white saddle on the bottom left behind the yellow gorgonians.
vuqamabe.jpg
u3eje8e6.jpg

Last edited:

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, putting seahorses in a reef isn't impossible.
One of the pet stores I worked at a long time ago how 2 in a 200 gallon with tons of fish and corals.
They were fine somehow they fund there own food source

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! yeah I've no doubt that I'm far from the first one to try it but I've seen very little here on reefers first hand accounts. The rule of thumb seems to be species only tanks. It was just soooo messy though!!! I also have the tendency to anthropomorphize which has led me to believe that life in a 30g tank alone must be boring. They seem to truly enjoy keeping an eye on their surroundings so I like the idea that they have more activity and things to watch. This of course isn't rational but still... so long as they're happy and I'm happy...

Last edited:

Chrissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Seahorses, but I have had a Dragonface Pipefish in my reef for a few weeks now and she's been doing great! Good luck with your horsies!

casey187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have been considering this but have been told no repeatedly by all lfs and anyone that can speak. will be following and hope it works out well.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I'm trying it. I've been told the same only I've been able to get very few 1st hand accounts. I can defiantly understand how it might not work in certain situations but so far as sweeping generalizations I don't see why not. I've never been one one to learn lessons the easy way... we'll see how this goes. Unfortunately, I've got the time to constantly monitor the situation. Fingers crossed. At the very least ill end up with a firsthand account of why its a bad idea lol

have been considering this but have been told no repeatedly by all lfs and anyone that can speak. will be following and hope it works out well.

AquaticallyDistracted22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see someone not only giving it a try, but as you said, actually putting a first hand account of it out there. As some have already stated, I've been interested, but not enough to take the risk given what others have told me. Good luck

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following along and will live vicariously through your tank. I would love to do that, but I have a constant small tsunami in mine...lol

Back