Seahorses with FW mollies?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was wondering if any of you folks who have seahorses have ever kept FW mollies with them? I know I read about it somewhere but can't remember where. The mollies can be slowly acclimated to the higher salinity and they would be a calm nonaggressive tank mate. They would not pass on ocean pathogens either. Sailfin mollies are quite beautiful and big enough not to be perceived as food so are there reasons not to keep them together?

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a reef tank mollies are ferocious algae eaters I would not keep them with seahorses they will pick at them

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a reef tank mollies are ferocious algae eaters I would not keep them with seahorses they will pick at them

Do you mean the mollies would pick at the macro algae or actually pick at the seahorses themselves? The seahorses are H erectus so they will probably be 4" long which is sizable compared to a molly?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I talked to Dan at Seahorse Source tonight and learned that algae can grow on the Seahorse's body. It doesn't usually happen as much in a tank with high flow like mine but now I understand about the mollies picking at the seahorses.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my pony tank :)

I would love to see a pic of your ponies and tank! Mine just came yesterday and seem to be adjusting pretty well. I picked up some snails and a lettuce nudibranch to help with algae control.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back