Mollies might not be a great algae eater..

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been acclimating mollies to full strength saltwater over a period of 8 months. I know, excessively slow. Replacing evaporated freshwater with saltwater every now and then using an old egg drop soup quart cup. Otherwise I topped off normally with freshwater as needed. It's a 10g with a Fiji aio insert. Originally had a RUGF filter sponge setup but replaced it with ~7lbs of bleach cleaned rock to pre cycle for future tank when I hit 1.021 (now at 1.024). 1/2lb pre-cycled ceramic rings from a freshwater tank was used initially and has been in since.

Well, the rock has finally started to go from dental white to looking alive with green spots. Then the spots grew and merged. The algae now however is starting to grow a lawn.

IMG_20240403_182337867.jpg
IMG_20240406_070250205.jpg

Originally had 5 black mollies when I started. First week, 3 females died, 2 wedged behind the aio insert (I quickly made a barrier) and 1 just randomly died. I replaced 2 females with dalmatians. Leaving me with 3 females to 1male.

The last black female passed recently for unknown reasons. I currently have 21 mollies total in the tank. Mollies being the GAU-8 of the fish world, it happens.

However, 21 mollies, 3 large adults and 19x babies barely scratched the algae growth. I have stopped evening feedings and now only feed once in the mornings. I do see the young and old peck at it, but from my previous fowlr experience I think a single turbo snail would do a much better job.

They do keep a bare bottom clean though, I'll give them that.

Moving the group over to a 20 long with a simple ac110 setup soon. Maybe grab a female platinum Lyretail molly to add in the mix. See if Petco has a snail or 2. Bleach clean a few more pounds of old rock.. etc

TLDR:
From a small experiment, I believe 1 turbo snail would do a better job at algae control than a group of mollies.

OP
OP
Shon

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a very "sterile" tank. I doubt anything living on freshwater ceramic rings still exist. If anything the small red specks of cyano? embedded on the mesh bag. Should be colonized with some salt loving microbe by now. Literally just 0ppt salinity to 34ish over a long period of time.

Probably hit Matanzas inlet (Florida) and grab a surface scoop of Coquina/sugar sand at 12-20ft depth. Got to wait for upper respiratory infection to go away before I attempt any free dive. But hopefully some wild sand will help the rock become more "live". Maybe grab a chunk of Ulva gutweed and a few amphipods.

I'll be slowly collecting some crew for later transfer. Besides Petco, no salt shops within 45 minute drive. My tank build sort of started in 2017 when I bought the Neptune Apex.. it's still new in box.. at least half of my stand is done. I keep flipping on sump decisions.. just been slowly downsizing freshwater tanks.. one left to go.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your way more patient than me. I just chucked the mollys into salt.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back