Toadstool hasn't opened in a year!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right a year. January 2014 was the last time this thing was doing well.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419022781.688155.jpg

Earlier in the year I broke down my tank for aefw, QT'd and dipped all my acros. The toadstool never left the tank. I did get too much Bayer residue in the tank and killed off my pod population. My derasa clam also died possibly from the bayer residues but I can't say for sure. The toadstool is known to close up for a month and shed. This one is closed up and hasn't opened since earlier in the year. It has a brown algae that covers it also. It gets asterinas on it eating the algae but it's always done that before while shedding once it sheds the asterinas are gone off of it. It's still firm and stands upright and every now and then I see I green polyp or 2 sticking out. It never lasts long and closes back up though. I've moved it to the frag tank with no luck and just now moved it into a smaller tank where I can keep it from tangs eating the algae and free of asterinas.

Any suggestions on helping it out?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa O_O. What happened to the rest of your tank. Second picture looks like a mess, besides the toadstool.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. The rest of the tank is fine. That's just how ugly the toadstool is now. It's in a tank with just liverock, some macroalgae and 2 clowns now.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered lightly brushing the toadstool to get the algae off?

CherryCoralsConsigliere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with trying to give her a nice little scrub. The coral, that is...

Once that's done, since it's easily accessible in the smaller tank, I would start a dipping regimen hitting it a few times a week, and placing it back in smaller tank under high flow. Since it hasn't opened in nearly 11 months, but hasn't disintegrated I would be pretty harsh on it, relatively speaking. Letting it sit obviously isn't doing much for it so time for the man to intervene :)

By the way that's a stellar FTS :thumb:

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered lightly brushing the toadstool to get the algae off?

I concur with trying to give her a nice little scrub. The coral, that is...

Once that's done, since it's easily accessible in the smaller tank, I would start a dipping regimen hitting it a few times a week, and placing it back in smaller tank under high flow. Since it hasn't opened in nearly 11 months, but hasn't disintegrated I would be pretty harsh on it, relatively speaking. Letting it sit obviously isn't doing much for it so time for the man to intervene :)

By the way that's a stellar FTS :thumb:

That's a good idea. I haven't tried scrubbing it.

Not sure if you can tell from the pic but occasionally this is what it does and I always think it's going to open.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1420515333.936008.jpg

Usually gets my hopes up and looks like it's going to shed. Then it goes back into its dormant state again. I can actually see a few green polyps right now. I've even tried to cut a frag off. The frag showed green polyps but melted away later on.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up nicely. If I can't get it to open I'm going to dip it for pests in Bayer but it was dipped once before when I broke the tank down for aefw.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine liked a low to med flow indirectly. Also seemed to do better in higher light but not leds for some reason. Is the tank being fed anything? Maybe it's starving.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine liked a low to med flow indirectly. Also seemed to do better in higher light but not leds for some reason. Is the tank being fed anything? Maybe it's starving.

I grew it in that same spot from a tiny nub. I'll see if I can find an old pic of it. I has thrived in my tank for a few years until this problem.

I gave it a good brushing and it cleaned up nicely.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1420517627.641942.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any improvement?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up pic looks good, now ya just gotta wait him out, see if that actually works, you know softies and their pouting.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish that might nip at it?

Only fish in there right now are a rabbit fish and a damsel. The toadstool was closed up long before I added the rabbit fish. No hermits or shrimp.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it cleaned off by just using your finger with very light pressure. I would also put it in a high flow area.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tyree green which it look like that one is also the same is a pouting pain in my butt. It opens maybe only 5 days out of the week. Then their may be a week we're it's closed except the 2 or 3 green polyps kind of poking out.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tyree green which it look like that one is also the same is a pouting pain in my butt. It opens maybe only 5 days out of the week. Then their may be a week we're it's closed except the 2 or 3 green polyps kind of poking out.

I've had it close up for a month or 2 and once 3 months. It always sheds and pops right back though. Doesn't seem to be shrinking or dying, just closed. :/

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back