Toadstool hasn't opened in a year!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a toad die before and it will start to rot do I think it's still alive expecially since you have polyps popping out. Maybe your tank is to clean. Not really familiar with your tank so just guessing.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a neon yellow tipped toadstool. about the size of a quarter. It was out all the time for the first month or two. Then it stopped coming out and after a week or so I noticed it had some white spots where it was crumbling. I got scared and iodine Dipped it. Sinse the dip it does not open nearly as much maybe one day a week. But it looks healthy and is not shrinking so I just leave it alone. It is so much prettier when its out though kind of stinks. been about 2 months since it opened fully for more than a day

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a toad die before and it will start to rot do I think it's still alive expecially since you have polyps popping out. Maybe your tank is to clean. Not really familiar with your tank so just guessing.

It's by no means a low nutrient system. It's mostly sps but I don't do anything special, just a skimmer for filtration.

Any use of aluminum oxide products, such as white phosphate binders?

No, I don't use any phosphate removing media.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toad is still crumblingvery once in a while. Wierd cuz it will come out occasionally. But it is not doing well. Everything else is awsome. What do I do??

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looked like yours after I left for two weeks for the holidays. I let it be for a couple of days, but it wasn't getting cleaned off so I would rub it with my finger. Slowly it started to get cleaned off and eventually opened up to look better then before. Stick with it. They are very hardy and should bounce back. High flow would certainly help too. Mine loves it. I have him at the bottom of the tank 18" with a Radion running at 60% max.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved it to a friends tank and it's bouncing back now. I brushed it off really well, he removed the larger base rock it was attached to. It looking better by the last pic he sent me. I'm guessing the algae on it was bothering it or something in that rock, like a worm was irritating it. Or it just likes his tank better! :xd:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423508120.859686.jpg

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why. But since I got my 165p+ a couple weeks ago the toadstool has stopped crumbling. Started looking much healthier and is extending almost fully now everyday. Maybe it was the change in lighting that bothered it. Cant be sure. Ill post a pic later. So happy. Looks awsome under the blue spectrum.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 30 mins after blues came on.

Attachments

• 20150227_115230.jpg
    20150227_115230.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 172

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left side was white and crumbling for a long time. As you can see it is returning to health.:)

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna recommend to remove it from the base rock you had it on, for some reason when you cut it off it seems to revive them.... Just my experience... Good luck nice piece....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back