Chalices: A few notes on some of our most popular morphs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Seems to me that, no matter what trendy new corals come along, the ultimate collectors' corals almost always seem to be Chalices. Regardless of wether we're talking about an Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, or even Echinopora, these corals seem to hold an almost irresistible appeal to coral collectors. We propagate a lot of different varieties of coral, yet the most consistently popular varieties are Chalices. Why is this? I have to be honest- I am not completely sure! Are they easy to keep? Well, if their requirements are met, I'd have to say that they are. These corals are to reefing like the Oscar is to the freshwater world: Give 'em what they like, and they thrive. Deviate a bit, and they let you know it by losing color, falling off feed, and just sort of looking pathetic.

What we have found in over a year of producing them at commercial levels is no secret, but it was a bit surprising to me. First, the darned things just don't like a whole lot of light. This is entirely consistent with their natural environment. When I talk to our Aussie collectors and Indo mariculturists, they'll tell me that these corals are found under overhangs and in shadowy crags in reefs. When Joe visited one of our sources in Bali recently, he had to literally use a dive flashlight to see into the raceway where they were located, as tarps and greenhouse glazing rendered the environment quite dark.

In our own facility, we keep them in surprisingly dim light, and they are thriving, growing out and displaying vibrant color and morphology that almost every visitor to our facility makes a comment on. We run an array of Kessil A350W "Tuna Blue" LED's to illuminate them, mounted around 22" over the water, and dialed way, way down. In fact, a recent par test conducted by an LED manufacturer who visited our facility indicated that the PAR value on the outer edges of our Chalice section (where some of our most popular varieties are located) was....7. Not "137", or "207". I mean 7. Thee corals don't like a ton of light. We had to shuffle some around a bit even under this lighting regime, as some did not do well directly under the LEDs, even at low settings! In fact, we have a skylight that was over an SPS raceway adjacent to the Chalice section, and it emitted enough natural light to cause problems for the Chalices. We literally covered it over, along with any other vent or opening that admitted sunlight.

We feed the heck out of our Chalices, and recommend that you do, too. We love the Reef Nutrition foods, such as Oyster Feast, Phyto Feast, etc. We feed several times a week. It's a pretty cool sight when we shut off the return pump and watch these colorful corals feed! They are "hungry" corals, make no mistake. An while we're talking about flow- they will respond well to a variety of flow regimens, in our experience. We tend to keep them in an area of moderate, indirect water movement.

As far as water chemistry, nothing secret there...They like stability. High alkalinity, moderate to high calcium, and respond very well to Potassium supplementation, displaying great color. Water temps are lower than what you might except, as we shoot for about 77 degrees F. This works very, very well.

As a refresher, here are just some of the more popular varieties that we are working with on a constant basis, along with some helpful comments about their care. We have many new varieties coming up, with new releases occurring throughout the Fall. Since we are not a "chop shop", the corals themselves will dictate when the new varieties are ready for release. Patience in coral farming is not just a virtue...it's a requirement!

raging-waters-new.jpg

UC "Raging Waters" Chalice - This variety really thrives under modest LED lighting. Do not overlight this one, as it will not show its best colors and health under excessively bright illumination. When it's happy, it's colors are anything but "subtle", literally shimmering!

UC1inch-jekly-n-hyde-chalice-118-all-frags-have-both-colors-inventory-5.jpg

UC "Jeckyl and Hyde" Chalice - A year of working with this one has finally helped us find it's "sweet spot", with lighting and flow being very important. In order to maintain the strong contrasting colors, this variety seems to do well towards the center of the raceway, where the lighting is a bit "brighter" (This is, of course, a relative term, as it's anything but bright!).

UC3quartersinch-inch-yellow-eye-echinoph-38-inventory-6.jpg

UC "Yellow Eye" Chalice- This one is almost "bulletproof", in that it seems to do well under a variety of "Chalice conditions." Not nearly as picky as many, it responds very well to feeding. its bright red color is easy to maintain if you keep the alkalinity consistent and lighting minimal.

UC3quartersinch-uc-magma-chalice-new-release-48-inventory-6.jpg

UC "Magma" Chalice - With it's bright colors, this one tends to favor remarkably dim lighting. It's a great feeder, but it will really let you know if it's not happy, losing color. Let this coral tell you where its "sweet spot" is, and leave it alone! It will put on quite a show once it's settled.

UCreplace-lucky-charms-pic.jpg

UC "Lucky Charms" Chalice- Are you sensing a theme here? This is another one that really doesn't like a lot of light. Does very will under an overhang in a dimly lit section of your reef...Notice I said "overhang in a DIMLY lit" section? It doesn't like tons of light :) .

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UC3quartersinch-red-velvet-chalice-new-release-48-inventory-6.jpg

UC "Red Velvet Chalice" - This Oxypora tends to like it's lighting a bit "brighter" than many of the other Chalcies we work with. Again, "brighter" is a relative term. If you overlight it, this coral will let you know immediately. It's surprisingly durable, and the color contrast is really cool. Hates unstable alkalinity, so mind your environmental parameters carefully.

UChalfinch-3quarters-uc-kryptonite-chalice-188-inventory-5.jpg

UC "Kryptonite Chalice"- Have no illusions about the care for this one! Just don't give it a ton of light. Period. With it's amazing "stripes", this one will realy stand out. Find a spot that you like and that the coral seems happy with, and leave it alone. Does not like to be disturbed once its settled in.

reikichalice3quartersinch-175IMG_9229.jpg

UC "Reiki Chalice" - Arguably one of our most popular and best-selling varieties ever, the Reiki is remarkably undemanding. Just keep the lighting low, the flow moderate, and "listen" to it. If it loses color, move it to a new spot until it responds favorably. A remarkably durable coral that, once it settles in after shipping, will put on quite a show. It doesn't like to travel, so when you receive it, just leave it alone to settle in for a while. It'll bounce back.

UC3quartersinch-superman-chalice-42-inventory-4.jpg

UC "Superman" Chalice- This is a "hungry" Chalice, with a lot of mouths to feed! Make sure it's settled into an area that you can access for target feeding. Other than that, its care is remarkably straightforward...for a Chalice.

IMG_8863robokakichalice1inch38.jpg

"Robokaki Chalice" - Like most Mycedium, this is a surprisingly tough coral. It loves to eat, and needs to be in an area of very moderate light, or it will just lose color. Other than that, it's darned near indestructible. Oh, and the alkalinity should be stable and in the 10 DKH area.

OK, I could go on and on about the 40-some-odd varieties of Chalices that we have, but I think you get the picture. If you meet their very modest requirements, these corals are remarkably easy to work with. The keys would be: Don't over-light them. Feed them well. Keep the water chemistry stable. Don't "mess" with them once they are stable and growing. Simple as that. The key to Chalices, IMO is being a "coral whisperer" and listening to what they are telling you. Don't mke keeping them any more difficult than it is. Sure, the information here is a generality, and is what's working for us. We receive a lot of calls and emails asking about our Chalice care, and you can spot a trend here from the comments...It's very straightforward, with no real surprises. Just be patient, and enjoy the wonderful show they will put on for you when they are happy!

Thanks again!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the pictures and captions keep them coming :)

Thanks for the kind words...What i'd really love is for some of our customers who have purchased these and others to post their comments and thoughts/pics about some of the UC Chalices or other varieties...The most important results are the ones you people are getting!So let's here from everyone!

Thanks!

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just about to pull the trigger on that kryptonite and a few others but I ended up with this baby from gonzos live sale
1378746115888.jpg
just couldn't resist a rainbow, well soon to be that is! Great corals and prices as always though!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great write up!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just about to pull the trigger on that kryptonite and a few others but I ended up with this baby from gonzos live sale
1378746115888.jpg
just couldn't resist a rainbow, well soon to be that is! Great corals and prices as always though!!!

Nice piece! Gonzo is a good guy!

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an interesting write up.

a curious question here though. i have a 3G mummy eye chalice on sand bed directly under a Maxspect razor 120W leds .. its doing good (great i should say) im assuming its under a direct par or around 150 - 200 at the peak lighting time of the day which lasts for about 4 hours and rest of the tiems its only blues .. as soon as i move it to a shaded or low light area i see a reddish kind of hue develop and it looses its very bright green. i tried this twcie till now and both times it gained its color like in a week when moved back to its original spot under direct light.

what kind of chalice is 3G mummy eye ? are there certain chalices that go against what you described above and want medium to high light ?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I have to say :

This is one one of the most Informative coral threads I have read from a vendor.

by reading this, I may have to actually buy a chalice from you guys. I have a few perfect shady spots they would do very well in. I always thought they liked the light and killed a stunner chalice.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an interesting write up.

a curious question here though. i have a 3G mummy eye chalice on sand bed directly under a Maxspect razor 120W leds .. its doing good (great i should say) im assuming its under a direct par or around 150 - 200 at the peak lighting time of the day which lasts for about 4 hours and rest of the tiems its only blues .. as soon as i move it to a shaded or low light area i see a reddish kind of hue develop and it looses its very bright green. i tried this twcie till now and both times it gained its color like in a week when moved back to its original spot under direct light.

what kind of chalice is 3G mummy eye ? are there certain chalices that go against what you described above and want medium to high light ?

Interesting observation/question. I guess it's really hard to generalize with Chalices, which is why I kinda presented my observations based on our experience. I think it is entirely possible for some specimens to adapt to higher lighting conditions; seen that many times. However, generally, they seem to prefer lower light situations almost as a rule. One caveat is that, as I mentioned about some of our morphs- they don't really like to be "messed with" once they've adapted to a spot and a set of specific conditions.

As far as the "#G Mummy Eye Chalice" is concerned, the best I could do is guess that it's probably an Echinophyllia species. The danger of the common names that we coral vendors and hobbyists tend to embrace is that you can't get a lot from those crazy names. Echinophyllia are often found in low light situations in general...howver, some species, such as Mycedium, seem to consistently adapt more readily to higher lighting...It's really tough to generalize. Best for us to go by what the actual coral you're receiving from the vendor or hobbyist is being kept under. Everyone should be happy to provide this information...It's better for the hobby.

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I have to say :

This is one one of the most Informative coral threads I have read from a vendor.

by reading this, I may have to actually buy a chalice from you guys. I have a few perfect shady spots they would do very well in. I always thought they liked the light and killed a stunner chalice.

Thanks much for the kind words. Really, it's very minimal information, but I think it's important because we receive so many questions about things like lighting and other parameters that our Chalices are kept under. And that's why I'm eager to hear if our customers' results under their environmental parameters approximate ours. So much to learn! So much to share!

Thanks,

Scott

KYLECT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, great write-up, you guys are always looking to help up reefers out and it is greatly appreciated!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back